Simply Get A Cake Out Of The Pan, Or Done Or ????

Decorating By dcallar Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm by sweetreasures

dcallar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcallar Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:12am
post #1 of 13

I'm new at this...I've researched, I've watched videos....I'm got practice supplies...I so can't wait to do this.....Today I made 6 different cakes. The first two feel apart when I tried to get them out. Yes, I waited the 10 minutes....the next two (different receipe) same thing. Last two...different receipe yet....1st one great...second one...edge ripped out. I crisco and flour and I use the cake stripes and I use the rose nail to get even cooking...I think I was about ready to cry. I see all your pics and the tiered cakes and that's 8 cakes or so...and I just want 2 single layers to make a cake to decorate. HELP. what is up?

12 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:54am
post #2 of 13

I use a home made cake release which I found the recipe for here on CC, and since then I have never had a problem getting a cake out of the pan.

1 cup Flour
1 cup Oil
1 cup Shortening

Mix all three together with mixer until completely incorporated.

Store in and air tight jar and keep in the fridge.

Brush it onto your pans then bake as usual. I promise you will never want to use anything else after you try this recipe.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:55am
post #3 of 13

Be sure you generously coat the pans. (I grease-only-no-flour and have done it that way for 30 years. I noticed less sticking to the pan from day one.) I've observed folks trying to save a few pennies and put a thin coat of pan-coating on the pan. don't be afraid of using this stuff. Really coat those pans.

I've never personally tried this, but many MANY folks on here have had wonderful results with lining the cake pan with parchment paper.

When to remove the cakes from the pan is another topic that you'll get lots of differing opinions so you can try different methods until you find the one who works for you. I have my cakes leveled and flipped out of the pan within 2 minutes after they come out of the oven.

If your cakes are really domed when you take them out of the pan, you might trim them at least a bit before removing them from the pan. If they are domed when you flip them out, then they are sitting on the round dome for a few seconds. This can be long enough for gravity to do it's job and start pulling down on the unsupported sides of the cake,causing the cake to crack or break.

Hope this helps a little for you!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:06am
post #4 of 13

I use the homemade cake release as well. I brush it on liberally, then line the bottom and sides of my pan with non-stick baking paper then brush the paper with the oil/flour/shortening mix.
Many of my recipes say to leave the cake in the pan until it's completely cold, others say leave it for 20 minutes. Either way, I never have a cake stick using this method.
I know how frustrating it can be though (before I found the cake release, I had many tears) but do persevere. Caking is soooooo much fun, it's worth the experimentation to figure out what works for you.
HTH.
Emma

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:27am
post #5 of 13

I too make homemade cake release. If this doesn't work for you then I would take Indydebi's advice about trying out the parchement paper. I've only used it to collar cakes or to make cheesecake but they do work really well. If decide to make homemade cake release or buy it just make sure your putting plenty on and getting all the edges of the pan.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:42am
post #6 of 13

If you line the bottom of the cake pan to exactly fit with parchment paper - you don't have to time when to flip them out. You let them cool even overnight in the pan, and they come out every time. Maybe you're flipping them out too early - you can try waiting 15 minutes or so. For the larger pans, say 10" up - 10 minutes isn't enough.

Good luck!

mikimouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikimouse Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:56am
post #7 of 13

Parchment is the secret. It's easy and never fails. Trace the pan on parchment paper, cut out and line the bottom of the pan. I usually crisco or butter the bottom of the pan and lay the parchment on top. This is because the parchment curles from the roll and the crisco helps it lay flat. You don't need to crisco or butter the side of the pan (it helps build a better cake crumb if you don't), just cut around the edge when the cake is cooled, flip and magic...a beautiful clean cake.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 13

I agree with OP. Once upon a time I use the 10 min rule. Some cakes are just too delicate...leave them in until all the way cool...and cut out all the voodoo. Just parchment and either homemade cake release (really works and CHEAP!) or the canned. If using the canned spray, don't be stingy (like ID says...really SPRAY that sucker!)

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 13

First off let's figure out HOW you tried to get them out of the pans. Did you put your rack on top of the caked pan, then try to flip the whole thing over at once? If not try that next time.

Mike

luna_star Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luna_star Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 13

I use non-stick baking paper and it works like a charm. I have never had a single issue with a cake not coming out of the pan since I started lining my pans with non-stick baking paper - it is a god send.

WildSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildSugar Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 13

I am too lazy to crisco and flour pans. I just spray them. Occasionally i have a problem with a corner sticking, but very rarely. I always make sure they are almost completely cool (unless i know i overbaked them in the first place, then i get them out asap). And if it looks like the edges are sticking, i'll run a knife around the sides. And like a PP said, put your cooling rack on top of the cake and pan and flip it all at once. That way the cake doesn't have to "fall" to the rack. Make sense?

I think one of these days i'm going to try parchment paper in the bottom though. It would make it easier to clean the pans, that's for sure!

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 13

I have always used bakers joy, but yesterday I had to make a pound cake and didn't have anymore. Tried Pam and it worked like a charm. Cake did not stick to the pan. Pam for me from now on.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 13

I too use the homemade cake release and I'm happy with it. I also let the large pans cool a little longer.

One day I will try Indydebi's method since I only have 1 cake pan of each size and I'd like to get them baked quicker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%