What Is The Best Way To Measure ... ???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 5:30am by nesweetcake

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Ratio shortening from a tub??

Hi All!!

When I used CRISCO it was easy to measure for my recipe. They came in 1-pound blocks. However, now I use Hi-Ratio shortening that come in a small sized tub. The recipe I use call for 5 cups. I have been using a 1-cup measuring cup from Wal-mart. It is a messy process. Plus, when I dig the measuring cup into the shortening I don't think I am getting an accurate measurement because it is built up on one side from me digging into the shortening..... I hope this makes sense.

I was wondering if anyone else used something other than the traditional measuring cups for this type of thing???

Thanks

11 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 12

It is a lot easier and no clean up of measuring cups if you use a small kitchen or digital scale to weigh out your ingredients...shortening..sugar...what ever~ I even use a heavy plastic baggie over my hand to scoop out the shortening into the bowl on the scale. I got a new digital scale on Ebay for about $20 including shipping, that you zero out after each addition so it is easy to measure out multiple ingredients.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 12

I buy shortenings in 50 # cubes and use a bowl scraper to get great gobs of it which I then weigh. I weigh all ingredients. I like that baggie maneuver, though.

|
|
V
siggy, help please

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 12

Use a scale if you can, that's the best accuracy. If not, use the water-displacement method!

Get a BIG clear pitcher with cups indicated on the sides. Fill it with, say, 4 cups of water. Add your shortening and as the water level rises you'll see by that how much you've added.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:59am
post #5 of 12

Definitely a scale if you have it if not Antonia suggestion is another way to go.

I did the math a while back (hopefully it was accurate icon_lol.gif ) and worked out that one cup of shortening weighed 6.9 oz.

Here's a link with a post from BlakesCakes where she mentioned that when she weighed her shortening it came in at 7 oz. Pretty close.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-649880-shortening.html

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:48am
post #6 of 12

A good kitchen scale is a great investment! I also use the ratio of 7 oz to a cup (the same for both hi-ratio and Crisco). I use an ice cream scoop and put the shortening directly into the mixing bowl that I've placed on the zeroed scale.

As an aside, I really like the Salter brand digital scales.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:54am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

A good kitchen scale is a great investment! I also use the ratio of 7 oz to a cup (the same for both hi-ratio and Crisco). I use an ice cream scoop and put the shortening directly into the mixing bowl that I've placed on the zeroed scale.

As an aside, I really like the Salter brand digital scales.

I use the weight for either as well.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 12

I dito the scale.

But if that isn't a route you want to go, then I would suggest lining your measuring cup with plastic wrap. You can then pull the plastic wrap out and pop the shortening into your bowl. I do the plastic wrap alot when I have to take crisco to class with me. I just finish wrapping the crisco up in the plastic wrap and drop it in a bowl or bag that I will use for other things in the class. It is cheaper than buying the 1 cup sticks, and doesn't dirty up alot of extra dishes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 12

An idea for your first scale is a postage scale with a tare. Where you can put an empty bowl on the scale, see how much it weighs, then leave the bowl on there, reset the scale to zero and then you can measure your stuff in the bowl from zero. Cool yah?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 12

for measuring shortening i use a portion scoop, you can find these in any restaurant supply store they are a spring loaded ice cream scoop and come in several sizes. I use the 1/2 cup (number 8 scoop) the most.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 12

Right off the bat as soon as I get my 50# cube I weigh it out into 2lb. 13 oz. packages and put them in ziploc bags. (that is the measurement I use for my 6 qt. kitchenaid mixer for the recipe I use the most) That way it is all done, I just have to grab a bag when I want to make icing - a little more work in the beginning but a lot easier in the long run!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:30am
post #12 of 12

There also is a measuring cup on that slides up and down on a cylinder. Mine is a two cup total and the other increments are all marked out, adjust tube to show the correct amount needed, I use a stiff rubber spatula to fill the tube, then push the bottom of the tube up while holding over your mixing bowl and the shorten falls right into the ball and the tube is pretty clean. I think I got mine at Hobby Lobby or something like that...ran about $10.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%