Should I Make Half The Recipe Or A Full Recipe

Decorating By imartsy Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm by Mike1394

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a 9x13 cake for a friend. I'm making strawberry cake. The cake didn't really rise much - only about an inch. It's supposed to make 24 servings, but they seem kind of pathetic because they are so short - is it just me?

I was thinking of making another layer - but I wasn't sure if I should really have a full second layer - or maybe I should just make half the recipe and have a thinner second layer.

What are your opinions??

3 replies
HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 4

So, it's only an inch high or it only rose about an inch? A typical 9 x 13 pan should give you about a 2-inch high cake, which will of course be a bit bigger once you torte, fill and ice it.

If you're making another layer, I'd go ahead and do a full recipe so that the layers are of equal size. Or, I suppose if you torte the first cake, ice it and put another half-size layer on top and ice that, you'll wind up with three sections of about equal size.

I guess it depends on how many you're serving and how generous you want to be with your portions.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 4

its up to you! if its supposed to be a 'professional' cake, then both layers should be the same height. but if its just a cake for a friend that isnt too important, if i was being lazy id do a thinner extra layer!
xx

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 4

Why don't you just make more batter, and fill the pan?

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%