Makes Me Wonder About My Grasp Of "pretty" ...

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm by BabyC1985

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 21

Just looking through my cake pictures, and realized how much I'm surprised at times with the public reaction. Granted, this is not the general public, but a highly select group of Cake Buddies who know their SMBC from their IMBC, but still ... ever notice how you'll have a cake you're super proud of, and you think is a spitting image of (blank), or has perfect corners, or flawless (blank), and will only get a couple of "favorites". But then you'll have a cake that you really don't think is all that special, which you put together in one afternoon, but automatically gets 30 favs.

Obviously, my self worth does not hinge on the "favorite" feature ... there are plenty of threads out there, and I agree, where people rightfully say you shouldn't take it personally one way or the other. I'm absolutely don't, one way or the other - I'm just surprised sometimes by the attention (or lack thereof) some of my cakes get with regards to others. icon_smile.gif

20 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 21

I think people usually favorite the things that they would like to do. They'll look at the fancier things and admire them, but most people know if it's too hard for them to attempt and those are the ones they won't favorite.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 21

Wow! I just took a look and your work is amazing! I do understand what you mean. Sometimes the cakes I am most proud of get the least reaction picture wise. I am a horrible photographer and I don't think my camera is much better. The last cake I made was a beach cake for a co-worker. I thought the real cake looked great. People were in and out of our office all day to look at it. The photo I took of the cake is really non-impressive! It makes the figure look like she has florescent lips! lol. But really your work is great. I'm going to take more time and go back to check them out a little closer! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 21

I save cakes to my favorites when it' a cake that I may want to try to make down the road, or if it has a decorating element that I want to incorporate into a cake. I don't save cakes just because they're pretty.

For example, your Star Wars bust cakes are great work. But I'll never try to make one of those so I'd have no need to save them.

Not saving it as a fave it not necessarily a judgement on the level of your work.

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 21

My favorites file contains mostly cakes which have ideas that I might use in my own cakes. I seldom use fondant, topsy-turvy, airbrushing and so on so seldom save these in my faves. However, this does not mean I do not absolutely LOVE your work or that of others in the galleries!

emiyeric Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks, guys, you're all so very sweet. I promise, though, that I was not trying to solicit free "attagirls", just sincerely wondering about why some of what I considered my less elaborate cakes were often so much more popular than the others. But you're absolutely right, I also save cakes that I would like to extract elements from and use, for the most part (Although I do have several saved that are just breathtakingly beautiful and I know I will never be able to aspire to!). Thanks for the insight, that makes a good deal of sense.
(And thanks for the "attagirls" anyway icon_wink.gif ... especially coming from such seasoned pros as you guys, who have absolutely stunning and well-respected work!).

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 21

Isn't it funny? I save odd things myself, rather than just stick to perfectly perfect perfectionism. I made a firehat....looks messed up, but if you know the story, it is perfectly executed. Right down to the worn off paint around the edges of the maltese cross. Those aren't sloppy paint strokes! icon_wink.gif By the looks of it, you wouldn't think many people thought it was great. BUT...who needs a firehat saved in their wedding cake galleries anyways? icon_biggrin.gif

Your cakes are great!

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 21

I was thinking about something similar the other day. I have a cake portfolio, and thought twice about including some of the photos in there. I just thought they didn't show my best work, but I put them in there anyway. And those are the cakes that people seem to comment on the most! I guess my favorite cakes aren't necessarily everyone else's. But I'm not complaining, any compliment is a good thing! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 21

I've wondered if the day of the week that you post your pictures has an affect on the number of views you get? Some days your picture will go through very quickly.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

I've wondered if the day of the week that you post your pictures has an affect on the number of views you get? Some days your picture will go through very quickly.

If you only look at cakes as they appear on the home page, this could affect the views. Which is why I never even go to the home page anymore. I go straight to the galleries and browse "latest uploads" so I don't miss a one!

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #11 of 21

Nothing specific to do with this tread, but has the "comment" on photo feature been removed? I have been peeking at alot of great stuff today, but was not able to leave andy "ata girl/guy".

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 21

Like others, I "fav" what I may have need of in the future. I may comment without faving as well.

BTW: Don't forget. Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder. icon_wink.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #13 of 21

Like so many others, I 'fave' based on elements of the cake that appeal to me or something I want to incorporate in the future. It may the the particular color palette, or a design element I want to try. Sometimes, it's something that I've just never seen before. I see so many wonderful cakes and if I 'faved' everything, I would never be able to find anything! Even in my own cakes, I notice those that are unique get more favorites usually than anything else. Of course, I'm just pleased when they're looked at and thrilled if they are favorited.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:05pm
post #14 of 21

I also only save those which I might one day attempt, I'll often comment on the really wow ones but Know I'll never make them, so dont save. Also, if its a high download time your cake may get undernoticed as well. I've had that happen to me a few times where I was really proud of something, then it never even made it to the recently added page because so many people added at the same time, a few days go by and you get a comment from a gallery supporter. But as long as the recipient was happy with it, I'm ok.

emiyeric Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 21

I agree, I usually go to the latest uploads and bypass the mess that is the main page at times. No, I don't resent not being "fav"ed at all, I am thrilled when it does happen! My comment was more to the point of some of my less-preferred cakes being saved more than my more meticulous ones, and why that was (which some of you wonderful bakers have very astutely clarified for me already!).

Julisa: I haven't had any issues posting comments lately, but some of the pictures have the "no comments" option activated at times.

CutiePie Cakes: LOVE you beer-holder note icon_wink.gif ...

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #16 of 21

for me its practicality.
i've been looking for golf cake ideas and thought yours was very clever so i just added it to my favorites. your other cakes are more complex, beautifully executed and stunning. but i needed the golf cake as a reference/inspiration for a project.
thanks!

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think people usually favorite the things that they would like to do. They'll look at the fancier things and admire them, but most people know if it's too hard for them to attempt and those are the ones they won't favorite.

Me especially...lol...i will "favorite" a cake if there something about it that I would like to try in the future. And yes the fancier cakes are often just admired =)

Liz

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #18 of 21

I agree, i only save cakes that i think i might use for future inspiration. If i think a cake is really good but dont save it i tend to comment on it instead.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm
post #19 of 21

Just echoing what's already been said - I only save cakes in my "favs" for inspiration, never because they are exceptionally pretty. Often I leave a comment but not put it in favorites. As Indy said, your Star Wars stuff is incredible, but I'll NEVER attempt them so the golf cake goes in instead.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #20 of 21

I don't think it's the "favs" that get me..it's the 250 views and no comments. I don't comment on everything, sometimes I click on a cake just to see what it really looks like vs the thumbnail, but I do comment a lot. What makes people comment or not comment? For me it's a detail or theme that I think the person did well that makes me comment. The other thing I've noticed is that if I'm working on a particular idea for a cake and I come here for inspiration that I may click thru a whole bunch of, say, golf bag cakes, without leaving a comment because I was doing research...of which this place always comes thru for me...and not really lingering on a photo. So when viewing my photos section I try to keep that in mind and not take the "no comments" or low comments to heart.

Totally addicted to this place!

Cat

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #21 of 21

[quote="catlharper"]I don't think it's the "favs" that get me..it's the 250 views and no comments. I don't comment on everything, sometimes I click on a cake just to see what it really looks like vs the thumbnail, but I do comment a lot. What makes people comment or not comment? For me it's a detail or theme that I think the person did well that makes me comment. The other thing I've noticed is that if I'm working on a particular idea for a cake and I come here for inspiration that I may click thru a whole bunch of, say, golf bag cakes, without leaving a comment because I was doing research...of which this place always comes thru for me...and not really lingering on a photo. So when viewing my photos section I try to keep that in mind and not take the "no comments" or low comments to heart.

Totally addicted to this place!

I understand what you are saying, the uncommented photo gallery has loads of pages! I have spent hours commenting on photos over the last fews days and i have been wondering how so many photo can have 1-2-3-4 or sometimes more favourites but yet not one single comment!! Maybe it would be nice if when people save a photo they could take the time to say why they like it. Its always nice to hear what people think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%