How Do I Attach Fondant To Cupcakes?

Decorating By Melnick Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 2:38am by mwest110

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:26am
post #1 of 22

Could anyone please tell me how to attach fondant to cupcakes? I did a search of the forums and couldn't find any info. Do you need to use buttercream or is there a way to just attach it straight on?
Thanks!

21 replies
Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:47am
post #2 of 22

This is a very good question!!
x

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 22

I always use something under the fondant on my cakes, Buttercream, Ganash. . and yes, that means cupcakes too! it is an extra step, but an extra yummy one lol icon_smile.gif It can help you get a more level smooth surface, and gives the fondant something to actually adhere too. Ive never thought of not using anything, i dont think it would be quite the same, and rather dry i imagine.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 22

I usually paint a thin layer of jam/jelly on the cupcake before putting my fondant on. I find it adds to the taste & keeps the cupcake moist too.

I do usually boil the jam first, like you would when marzipanning a cake. I find it also thins the jam out & makes it easier to apply. It's a little time consuming but I usually line up about a dozen at a time, glaze them & then cut out a batch of fondant circles to put on.

Melnick Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 22

Thank you!!! I was looking at pics in the gallery and the fondant circles didn't seem to have anything under them - it was probably that jam method.

Now, one more question if you wouldn't mind helping some more? I was thinking of making some apple maple pecan cupcakes (they are so delicious) and they have a maple buttercream that goes on top. If I put a thin layer of this buttercream and the fondant, do you think it would taste alright?

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 22

I think that would taste delicious melnick.
Good luck and happy baking

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 22

when i do put fondant on cupcakes.. i usually have some buttercream on also. then the fondant. more tasty. and yes ..like someone else said. ganache.. also

Melnick Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 22

Thank you so much everyone for your help! I appreciate it!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:07am
post #9 of 22

I'd smooth on some bc or ganache as well but you could always brush on simple syrup (add some flavouring if you want) if you don't want the bc or ganache on it.

Melnick Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:47am
post #10 of 22

Thanks for all the advice. Here is the finished product. I should have made the buttercream a bit higher - the cupcake was a bit uneven because of the pecans in them but I still love the overall effect. You can tell that it was a really quick put-it-all-together-and-race-out-the-door-to-see-the-baby effort!
LL

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:08pm
post #11 of 22

They look gorgeous. Well done

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 22

oh wow! what a precious set of cupcakes!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 22

so cute, great job

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 22

Oh wow they look gorgeous. They look very even to me icon_biggrin.gif

I know it's a little late but I usually take the centre out of my cc's with an apple corer & then pipe in some bc & poke the removed cake back in the hole. Again it's a little time consuming but worth it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 22

beautiful cupcakes. great job

Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 22

They look lush, Im assuming the recipiant is having a boy icon_smile.gif

xx

Melnick Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:22pm
post #17 of 22

Thank you for all the kind comments. My brother and sister-in-law did have a little boy, Will (hence the 'W'). I made the fondant discs and accents the night before. Since we didn't know if it was a boy or girl, I made 6 white, 6 blue and 6 pink. I attached the little blue hearts to the white accents once I found out the sex. They rang late in the afternoon and I quickly assembled them and flew out the door to meet my nephew! My brother was so happy that I brought cupcakes as he was starving!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #18 of 22

Congratulations Aunty

CCs look great, good job

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #19 of 22

May I ask, do you "level" the cupcakes, or cut the dome? I always though cupcakes bake with a dome???

Melnick Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #20 of 22

I'm not really sure of the correct method. I filled them a little less than I normally would so it didn't balloon over the top and then I levelled the batter - I pushed a little more towards the outside edges to accommodate for the rising. When they came out, I took a tea towel and pressed down on the ones that were too high (I read about this on CC). When I iced them I filled them up as best I could to the same level. It was my first attempt at doing cupcakes with fondant (hence the question) so I don't know if I used the right method.

The only thing that I worry about is if it changes the texture of the cake by pushing the tops down. Surely it would have to? I only pressed down a few. I'll have to ask them if they noticed!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #21 of 22

I press down on my cakes when they come out the oven apart from releasing any air in the cake the cake is always good, no complaints so far. It's still light in texture.

mwest110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mwest110 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #22 of 22

They turned out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%