Cornelli Lace On Side Of Cake

Decorating By sister340 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm by sister340

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 6

I am putting cornelli lace on the side of a fondant cake for the first time. Any advice? I think I'll use thinned RI, they recommend a #1 tip. I can just envision it falling off the side of the cake........................

5 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:25am
post #2 of 6

I did it on the side of a cake with a #2 ( I cannot find a #1 to save my life) with buttercream and it was fine. I haven't done it with RI but it should work fine

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:52am
post #3 of 6

Hi,

Royal icing should be fine - I did a fair amount of decorating with RI on the side of my wedding cakes, and had no problem. I didn't thin it out, and it was fine.

Good luck!

Cheers

Kate

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:25am
post #4 of 6

You can make it a little easier on yourself by propping the cake up on one side so the side you are working on is tilted. Make sure the board you have the cake on is sturdy and does not bend. Then put a towel folded into a wedge under one side to give you an easier surface to work on.

Or you can put together something like my "homemade" tilting turntable using a ring binder, non-slip shelf liner and the wilton trim'n'turn, as shown below. The ring binder sits on my 18" turntable in the picture, but you don't need that. You'll appreciate the better angle when doing all that cornelli lace.
LL

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 6

The only problem with the turntable on top of the binder is that it will "turn" while you have it tilted. That would work better if you just put the binder on top of the turntable and then set the cake itself on top of the binder.....(ask me how I know this.......) icon_wink.gif

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 6

Wow, these are great tips and ideas! Thanks so much. I would have never thought of the tilted base, I have the rubber slip free mat that I use in the truck to transport cakes. I will use these tips for sure!
j.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%