All Hail The Conqueror!

Decorating By varika Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 11:01pm by LaBellaFlor

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 2

I'm so excited, and I just have to share.

I have finally managed to conquer Red Velvet cake! In the form of cupcakes, to be sure, but they rose nicely and are soft and most and delectably good.

The last three....four.....uh...ten times or so that I've tried it, which is like ever before in my life, I've gotten layers with huge craters in the middle where they sank instead of rising. Three and four times in one day, even!

I finally found out what the probably cause has been, and that's that I've been using the wrong kind of cocoa. The recipes I've used call for Dutch processed cocoa, and I've been using natural. I read several articles on the subject that say the reaction between the vinegar and the Dutch process cocoa is part of the leavening action, so this time, I managed to get hold of some Dutch processed cocoa, and they came out wonderful!

Also, powdered color for the total blinding REDNESS red. Even baked, they're RED red. It's so cooo~ool! *squeeee!* party.gifking.gifking.gifking.gifbirthday.gif

1 reply
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 2

Too funny! Here you've been using a high-end natural cocoa & you could have been using regular 'ol Dutch processed. Congratulations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%