is called to order.

Who's here? Whatcha working on?

Problems to solve?

Successes to cheer about?

54 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #2 of 55

I'm finishing up the second wedding cake. These were very traditional, especially coming out of my place. Sotas! Can you believe it? They sure do cover, though.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 55

No cakes here for me this weekend. I am taking it easy - gonna watch a movie! You all have fun and good cake wishes going out to you.

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 55

Lou
no cakes? whaddya think this is, a holiday or sumptin?

(I've got five weddings, and one I just picked up yesterday.)

Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 55

icon_biggrin.gif FIVE?? That is what you do on a holiday weekend?? Man, Leah........we need to teach you what H-O-L-I-D-A-Y means. icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 55

Nice to see you calling F.N.C.C to order...and very nice of you to except such a last minute order? Who orders their wedding cake so late?!

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 55

Meh, the sister of the bride called, bride is doing the courthouse thing, and then meeting family for lunch at a restaurant. 6"/9" my choice of decorations. Quick $150. On TUESDAY.

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:43am
post #8 of 55

I have a consult next week for a big wedding on Sept 26 of this year. These people scare me.

LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:44am
post #9 of 55

Okay, that makes a lot moe sense. I tend to think in "home bassed business" mode. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #10 of 55

icon_lol.gif Leahs if they scare YOU! I'm scared too. I just got rid of a potential P.I.A. Really wanted to do the cake, as I have a dummy of a similiar style, but I'm going to recognize wanings signs, so I have no regrets later. Not dealing with DIVAS!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:48am
post #11 of 55

I've nothing!

My daughter called last night and informed me she was getting married today...DH had area in use building entertainment center so cake stuff had to be up and secured...I'm bummed about not being able to do a cake for her...

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:49am
post #12 of 55

I just think they're disorganized and they've already been thru most of my competition. I've already laid down the law about what I can/won't do, seeing a how they are a "work-in" at this point.

And LaBella, I AM home based. (licensed home kitchen)

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #13 of 55

Two wedding cakes here. 6-9-12" round carrot cake with fondant swags and apple blossoms. Just completely started over with a new crumb coat since the icing wasn't sticking.

Also a 6-912" round with the top as a dummy tier. Crumb coated but not iced yet. B&G have become a real PITA the last 2 weeks so I really need to get it perfect since he's a lawyer and I know he's just dying to find any excuse to sue me icon_sad.gif

Gonna be a long night and I still feel like crap icon_cry.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #14 of 55

Hi,

I'm not doing anything this weekend but I five have due for next week. Two on Weds, two on Thurs and one on Saturday. Three of them are birthday cakes for friends and two are for a potluck. All will be ocean themed. I am hoping to get some of the fondant decorations done on Monday evening. I'll be looking through the galleries tonight for inspiration icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #15 of 55

::falls to floor::

::thud::

All4cake, you daughter gave you one day's notice on her wedding?

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #16 of 55

Cathy - would you mind sharing your carrot cake recipe? i needed one last week and just couldn't find one i was happy with. thanks a bunch

LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:57am
post #17 of 55

I bow down to the master! I first thought you were home based in the beganning, but then I would see your cake orders & then was like, she must be in a bakery. I did 4 custom cakes one weekend and decided that will never be me again. I don't freeze my cakes, so I tend to bake 3 days out. Did recently try freezing a cake as an expierment, didn't come out very well. thumbsdown.gif

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #18 of 55

Really? I freeze everything on purpose. I try to get every cake in the freezer at least for one night. But - I do have a non-self-defrosting freezer (very important) just for cakes.

LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #19 of 55

I put them in my deep freezer and it is a newer one, but I'm not sure if it's non-self defrosting. They just came out really gummy, which was easy enough to cut off. But it was so messy and I'm not sure if they were any moister. One tasted a little dryer. Gotta stick with what works for you. And this is a holliday weekend, no work!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #20 of 55

no cake.. but i am working on flowers for my fair cake coming up in 4 wks.. i will be making hisbiscus, bud,etc.. bird of paradise.. and bougainvillea.. yeah! watching nicholas lodge dvd. love it.. haven,t decided how i am going to cover the tiers. they will be 8"-12"16".. its been fun working on these flowers..

Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:11am
post #21 of 55

jeesh - icer - I still have to do the dummies for the fair here. (will be my first time entering one.....I don't have real high expectations......I remember your experience at the fair Leah) icon_confused.gif

I need to make 3 broaches (??) for the one - the other is gonna have some gelatin stuff on it - just because no one here does that and I want to do something different.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #22 of 55

Yes, Leah...one day(not even 24 hours).

I, too, try to get the cakes into the freezer at least for one night and have one designated for cake stuff.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #23 of 55

Just one for me this weekend. Not an order just something I decided to do. Been sick all week and so I have the baking fever. Doing a grill cake for Labor Day cookout tomorrow at the club. Figure it will be something cute and hopefully we will get some orders off of it. Kind of slow around here lately.

I have had the last minute cake orders (wedding) lately though. I had one lady contact me last Sunday for a wedding cake for tomorrow. Wanted a price on a 3 tier camo cake with gumpaste leaves and vines. I quoted her $250 and she decided to go elsewhere. It is so hard to get a decent price out of people around here these days!

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #24 of 55

WooHoo! I'm so excited to be here as a working professional, LOL! This is my first 'big' Friday since my shop opened icon_smile.gif I have an order for 100 cupcakes, a two tier race car cake, and the regular stock for the store. I thought that I had planned accordingly but I think that this is going to be a long night after all

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:24am
post #25 of 55

I have a tasting for tomorrow and a small wedding cake for Monday.

BUT I have run out of cupcake wrappers! icon_cry.gif So it looks like I will have to get more tomorrow morning! (Tasting is at noon)

I do have a question about ganache...I've made it lots of times...but for the wedding on Monday, they want raspberry chocolate ganache. I got LorAnn (sp?) Oil - Raspberry...can I make the ganache & add some of that to it? Any clue how much??

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

P.S. I am SO BEAT - been getting up so early everyday since my kids have started school again!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #26 of 55

I'm done for the night. 8 8" table cakes and one double sheet cake. Simple, but time consuming and for some reason, they BC just keeps wanting to bubble....Very frustrating--hope there's not a major blowout to repair when I box them up tomorrow! I can't figure out why I'm having such problems with bubbles lately--anyone else having that problem?

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #27 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

Cathy - would you mind sharing your carrot cake recipe? i needed one last week and just couldn't find one i was happy with. thanks a bunch

There is one on here from Keonicakes (I think that is how it is spelled) that is to die for...It is a little had to work with b/c it is so moist but it is delicious!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #28 of 55

Bran muffins in the oven for my wife right now, then a Christenening cake on Sunday - nothin too fancy!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #29 of 55

rharris...congrats!!

If I were at a real shop I would hate to get on the computer - it's bad enough I do it at home while baking LOL! (Of course I am totally addicted & can't get off once I get on!)

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #30 of 55

Doing a little cleaning and then on to prep the cakes that get decorated tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%