Help! How Do I Do This Color And/or Technique?

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 12:17am by Donnabugg

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 16

Good evening all. I absolutely love this beautiful cake and would like to use it as an inspiration piece. Just wondering if some of you experienced decorator's can tell me the best way to create that soft, marbled pink color and also what is the best way to do the branches. I am VERY new to decorating so please have mercy and be detailed! lol icon_biggrin.gif
LL

15 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 16

a picture of what you are talking about would help tons....

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 16

well now there is a picture... there wan't earlier.. honest

add some pink color to white fondant but don't completly mix it... just until it is marbled like you want. I would do the branches in RI.... very pretty and good luck

Donnabugg Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #4 of 16

Should be showing....

Donnabugg Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 16

Sorry, I should have said I'm still trying to master using buttercream and haven't moved up to fondant. Can it be done using BC icing?

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabugg

Sorry, I should have said I'm still trying to master using buttercream and haven't moved up to fondant. Can it be done using BC icing?

Don't be shy to move to fondant - I find it way easier to get a polished looking cake with fondant as opposed to BC.

Donnabugg Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #7 of 16

I have tried fondant once..very hard for me but first time using it would make sense since I had NO idea what the heck I was doing! lol It looked easy on TV so my daughter and I walked out to the kitchen and went at it. This is the picture of the end result!...NOT a pretty sight!
Actually I do look forward to working more with it but would like to work at my skills getting very smooth buttercream icing first...like as smooth as Tonedna's if you've seen hers on here...she's amazing! But I'm excited about moving to fondant. Hardest part was figuring out how to roll it then smoothing out the wrinkles and the bottom.
LL

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 16

i know this cake and who made it, she is on flickr and might help if you pm'd her ? but i would say the marbled effect is due to mixing pink into white fondant, but not mixing thoroughly...i would also use r.i for the branches, or cut out black fondant. hope this helps x

Donnabugg Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:19am
post #9 of 16

Thank you for your advice. Is there a reason to use Royal icing instead of buttercream? I haven't worked with RI yet. I am starting wilton course 2 next week so we will be introduced to it then.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:27am
post #10 of 16

I think that the pink looks more like it was stippled on, like a faux finish on a wall...maybe using a crumpled paper towel?

Donnabugg Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:44am
post #11 of 16

SugarGal...do you know if she uses this board?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:28am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

I think that the pink looks more like it was stippled on, like a faux finish on a wall...maybe using a crumpled paper towel?

My thoughts exactly. It does not look like marbling. I would
say stipple with a sponge and use a fan brush to soften the pattern.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:01am
post #13 of 16

you can marble your bc, just dont mix in the colour properly. probably not the same look, but probably as close as you will get. (you could always be kinder to yourself, and just make the teir completly pink)
im pretty sure it would just creat mess trying to sponge on bc, even if it is well crusted.

you could also do the branches in bc if you want. i think ri just looks a bit more 'real', and it is easy to use.
xx

Donnabugg Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:59am
post #14 of 16

Thanks ya'll! I appreciate all your advice! icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:27am
post #15 of 16

You can get a marbled look in bc very easily. Apply the bc using just a base color (we'll say white for this cake). Smooth it, but don't be worried about it being perfect. Before it crusts, put some of the pink frosting in a piping bag and drizzle it on the surface of the cake. Then, use your spatula and continue the smoothing process. Play around with it and you'll learn how long you can smear it around and smooth it to get the proper marbling effect. If you do it too much, the pink with just blend in and look smooth. It's something you just have to attempt a few times to understand.

Donnabugg Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #16 of 16

Rose...you are a wealth of information for me! icon_biggrin.gif I will play with that and see if I can achieve that effect...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%