Not Crusting....

Decorating By cadgurl07 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 3:30am by icer101

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 5

The last couple cake I have done my buttercream has not crusted. I took the wilton classes in the beginning of this year and have been using the same wilton recipe with the same ingredients (why change when it works) Well something obviously changed in the ingredients that I'm using. I don't know why my Crusting BC isn't crusting. I even put them in the fridge for 1/3 and and my parchment paper still stuck to it. Any insight???

4 replies
dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5

I frosted a cake while it was frozen and it took FOREVER to crust. The frosting kept getting condensation while the cake thawed. It did eventually crust after it dried out at room temp for hours. I only frost thawed now.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:52am
post #3 of 5

The weather in your area may currently be more humid and that will affect crusting some.

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 5

Hmmm.....well my cakes weren't frozen. they were made the night before so that can't be it....but the weather may be it. Although if I had it in the fridge after it was covered, shouldn't the buttercream have crusted? If not I won't even bother next time. thanks for all your suggestions.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:30am
post #5 of 5

putting your cake in frig after frosting..doesn,t make it crust.. after icing your cake....then smoothing it as best as you can... with spatula.. let it set up a little. maybe for about 7-10 min. then smoooth with the viva paper towel method. viva towel with no patterns. lay over cake. and then smooth with hands gently or with the fondant smoother. some people call it ironing your cake.. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%