2Nd Layer Of Fondant??

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm by Lcubed82

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 8

I have a chocolate cake with MMF. The buttercream squished down, then settled a bit after putting on fondant, so now there is a darker band around the top of each layer.

I am thinking to put on a second thin layer of fondant rather than stripping it off and starting again (what if it happens again!). Has anyone done this? Do you think it will work? Need to dec tonight!

Thanks!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 8

I've put a second layer on before. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If you've got a ridge showing at the top of each layer, a second layer of fondant isn't going to help...in that case it would be better to strip it off, shave down the ridge and then do it again.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, I have, many a time! Maisie Fantasy actually decorate all their cakes with 2 layers of fondant (but you could use one layer marzipan and one layer fondant if that floats your boat!). I've done it when my fondant has torn in a place beyond invisible repair, or like yourself have had chocolate cake showing through. Now I have started ganaching my cakes with white chocolate though, that's no longer a problem!

Lcubed82 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you! Now to make some more fondant.

Texas_Rose- no ridge. This is probably the smoothest cake I have ever made!!!! Just the dark band showing through the light colors of fondant.

Mikes...- I haven't tried ganache yet. I guess that's next week's experiment as I get readly to do a 4 tier for some friends' 25th that never had a reception. Daughter is throwing a big party with a "real" wedding cake!!

Do you make your own fondant? What recipe? I am looking at Satin Ice for the big cake- just hate the price! I figured out I am going to need like 15 pounds of fondant.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 8

I make my own marshmallow fondant. I'm just too frugal to shell out for Satin Ice...maybe if someone was paying me for a cake, then maybe, but only if it tastes as good as the marshmallow fondant. This is the recipe that I use: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm but I add flavoring to it.

Lcubed82 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 8

What is the largest round cake you have done with MMF? And how thick do you roll it? do you ever add anything to make it more resistant to tearing? or am I making it too dry?

I just did the second layer on th 6" tier, which now looks much better. I tend to have tearing at the top edge, even though it is not sharp. I was able to smooth out most of the little stress fractures with thinned corn syrup. I have to teach a sewing lesson now, then will do the 9" tier!

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 8

The biggest cake I've covered with MMF was 14" round and about 5" high. No problems with tearing or cracking at all. I don't add anything to it. I roll it out on vinyl with a very light dusting of corn starch (use a basting brush). The best way to pick up a big piece like that is to wrap it around a long rolling pin...that's the only reason I bought the big white wilton pin.

In the recipe I posted a link to, she gives a range for the amount of water. I always put in 1/4 cup of water, or three tablespoons of water and one of clear vanilla. My favorite thing to add to it is lorann butter rum flavoring.

Lcubed82 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks, Texas Rose for your help! Mikes... Thanks to you too!!! The cake is done, and I am very pleased. I need to work on making my MMF more pliable, and roll it thinner, but it's getting there.

Princess cake is in my photos.
Have a great weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%