I Hate Nicholas Lodge!!!!!

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm by cheeseball

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 17

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have heard folks on here rave about NL gumpaste. So I bought some........AHHHH!!!!! It's actually "rubbery" and it never hardens! I made stamens 2 days ago and they're still pliable. I mixed it with some satin ice gumpaste.....1 day ago, same type of stamens (about 1 1/2 inches long and a little more than 1/8 inch thick...so not very big) YOu guessed it...still pliable. Making petals...and 2 hours later...again still VERY pliable...I mean they won't hold a shape. I'm trying to make calla lillies and the tops keep drooping down on the form....I'm afraid once I get them onto the stamens and turn them upright, they'll just droop in the other direction. Any advice???!!!!

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 17

I use his recipe and I love it. It's not at all hard to make and it comes out perfect every time. I've never bought it premade.

Anyhow, I know in the past when people have had questions about his gumpaste, that one of his assistants is a member here and will probably see your post and tell him about it...they may have a solution for the issue you're having.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 17

Just ouot of curiousity - did you knead it before taking from it? I never knew he had it premade. I alsways use it and it dries in great time for me. I do not know what the problem might be - I love it though.
Maybe you got a faulty pack - you should contact the retailer you got it from?

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 17

I have also used his recipe and it's wonderful. I'd check you ingredients, but don't add the satin ice gumpaste to it, that stuff is awful and it won't set up. What is your weather like right now? Is it really humid? If you have some extra tylose, add it to the paste and see if that helps. if you have a dehumidifier, run it.

I have to admit the title of your post shocked me. Nick (and Scott) is the nicest guy in the whole world and bends over backwards to help his students. I was lucky enough to assist him in his classes years ago and I'll never forget it. I can't wait to see him again in a couple weeks.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 17

I have also made it, and it turned out fine, I have never bought his premade, But you may want to change the Heading of your post, from I HATE to HAVING TROUBLE with, that may cause a stir JUST SAYING

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 17

Oh wow Nic is wonderful and so is his gumpaste! I would have to guess you just got a bad batch or are you maybe having very humid weather? I've never tried the premade I always make my own. It actually hardens so strong and dry that it's the only thing I'll use for competitions. Don't give up on it...it really is the best.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 17

I hate the title of your thread.

Why don't you say you hate NL gumpaste?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 17

Umm, yeah, when I first saw your thread title, I thought 'geez, what's he done?!'. I'm sure you didn't mean you hate him personally. If it makes you feel any better though, I'm not a great fan of his gumpaste either (recipe, that is), it IS rubbery!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 17

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I hope the OP has a very sturdy flame resistant suit... I feel an inferno starting.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 17

OP - please change the title of your post

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 17

I'm guessing she was thinking of the brand, rather than a person...for example, "I hate Satin Ice" or "I hate Wilton" not that I do...don't need my own little inferno icon_biggrin.gif but anyhow, I don't think she meant to offend and she's probably sitting at her computer, totally mortified, going, "Goodness, I didn't know that was a person, of course that's not what I meant!"

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:12pm
post #12 of 17

uh oh...

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 17

Ok Ok OK!!!! I do not hate Nicholas Lodge...the man!!! I'm sure he is a very nice person....I used that as a reference to product name...and product name only. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific. I did however title the thread strongly because I wanted some feed back and I find that if I title any post in a PC way, I get little to no response. I wanted to grab your attention, but meant in no way any insult to anyone. In response to some... The weather is cool and dry here...Satin Ice dries and sets up almost too quickly for me and this is why I added it to the NL product. I was hoping one would counteract the other. I do like very much the fact that doesn't dry so fast that I get cracks on the edges of my carefully formed petals...but it doesn't set completely EVER...

I am certain that Mr. Lodge and his associates are very reputable and strive to provide products of the very highest quality. I am simply looking for input as to what I may be doing wrong, or perhaps not doing correctly at all so that MY product is also of the very highest quality.

Again my sincerest apologies to Mr. Lodge for any personal insult to his character. I will attempt to re- title my post.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:17pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Umm, yeah, when I first saw your thread title, I thought 'geez, what's he done?!'. I'm sure you didn't mean you hate him personally. If it makes you feel any better though, I'm not a great fan of his gumpaste either (recipe, that is), it IS rubbery!

same here, I have given up trying to make Nic Lodge GP, i've only ever gotten it to work when I mix it with fondant (which I was already told is big no no by some) I'll stick with wilton premade.

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #15 of 17

I have never heard of premade NL gumpaste. I have always made mine and it comes out just fine. Sometimes I may have to add a litttle shortening and a little powdered sugar depending on how it feels to me, but it's usually forgiving either way. Sorry you have have trouble with yours.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #16 of 17

...........heard folks on here rave about NL gumpaste. So I bought some
........AHHHH!!!!! It's actually "rubbery" and it never hardens!.........

I have to agree that the PRE-made GP is awful!! icon_sad.gif
I'll *make* and recommend using his recipe anytime!
I was bitterly disappointing with the pre-made just as you were.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 17

I hate to toss a product, but if it causes more work for you...have you tried applying some gentle heat (lamp or oven set on low and then turned off)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%