Can I Color Satin Ice (White/vanilla)?

Decorating By blueberrycheesecake Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 2:05am by blueberrycheesecake

blueberrycheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueberrycheesecake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:21am
post #1 of 5

This has been my question lately. I have tried it & it was really easy to work with.

I will be making a 2-tier wedding cake (10" in diameter & 3-4 inches in height for the top tier; 12" in diameter & 3-4 inches in height).

I would really like to color it instead of buying the different colors I will need for the wedding cake, so is it possible?

Also, will 5lbs of Satin Ice be enough for the cakes that I will be making?

Thanks! Have a Good Day! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:38am
post #2 of 5

Yes you can definitely colour the fondant. Folks just buy the pre-coloured fondant because it's easier for them. I do however recommend that if you need to cover a cake in black or red that you purchase it premade as those are 2 of the hardest colours to make. You should have plenty to cover the cakes.

Here's a chart from Satin Ice that tells you how much you need:

http://www.rolledfondant.com/product.htm

I do believe though that the amount they have listed only covers the fondant that is on the cake and not what you trimmed off. I would plan for more as you don't want to get caught short while making your cake.

blueberrycheesecake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:41am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Yes you can definitely colour the fondant. Folks just buy the pre-coloured fondant because it's easier for them. I do however recommend that if you need to cover a cake in black or red that you purchase it premade as those are 2 of the hardest colours to make. You should have plenty to cover the cakes.

Here's a chart from that tells you how much you need:

http://www.rolledfondant.com/product.htm

hi, xstitcher! thank you so much for this information! very helpful.. icon_smile.gif God bless! Happy caking!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:30am
post #4 of 5

I color white Satin Ice all the time. It can get sticky if you have to use a lot of color but if you work in some confectioner's sugar it comes out okay.

blueberrycheesecake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:05am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I color white all the time. It can get sticky if you have to use a lot of color but if you work in some confectioner's sugar it comes out okay.

ok! i'll try this out! icon_smile.gif thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%