Cream Cheese B/c Icing?

Baking By BlackFlour Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 12:08am by jamiekwebb

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 9

Is there such thing as cream cheese buttercream frosting? I am in love with sugar shack's buttercream, and use it frequently. I am making a red velvet cake where cream cheese frosting was requested. Is there an icing like sugarshacks that's as smooth but includes cream cheese? TIA!! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 9

Yes there is such recipe. I have made this before and it's devine.
12 oz. cream cheese slightly chilled
1 stick plus 6 TBS. (7oz.) unsalted butter at room temp.
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
3 egg whites

Beat cream cheese until fluffy, add butter 1 to 2 TBS at a time mixing until smooth.
Add confectioners sugar and vanilla and mix until fluffy. Set aside at room temp while buttercream is prepared.
Combine granulated sugar and water in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over med heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Continue to cook w/o stirring until syrup reaches soft ball stage of 238 degrees on a candy thermometer.
Meanwhile, put the egg whites in mixer bowl and have the mixer set up and ready to go. When the syrup is done, turn the mixer on med low and begin mixing the egg whites while slowly drizzling syrup in. When it's all incorporated, raise your speed to high and beat until egg white mixture has cooled to body temp and a stiff meringue forms.
Slowly add cream cheese mixture to egg whites by the spoonful and raise speed to med when it's all incorporated until smooth and fluffy.
Enjoy!! Hope this helps!!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 9

here what I always use...

4 oz. cream cheese softened
1 stick butter or margarine softened
Flavoring
2 cups vegetable shortening
2 lbs. powder sugar

Beat cream cheese and butter until blended. Add flavoring and coloring at this time. Add shortening and sugar in increments. Beat on medium (stand mixer) for 5 - 10 minutes.... enjoy. I love this icing and it crusts and smoothes great.

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 9

Wonderful! Thank you both! I will try them out tomorrow!! icon_smile.gif

multicrafty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multicrafty Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 9

Are either of these recipes shelf stable or would the cake have to be refridgeratorated after frosting with these?..

TIA

Linda

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 9

I would say no, because it has cream cheese in it. I could be wrong, but at first thought no!

jamiekwebb Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 9

Mine is shelf stable for a couple of days once it is on the cake. If you are making and storing it i reccomend refrigeration and then you need to let it set out a while befor using it or it will be to stiff to work with.

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 9

Cream Cheese frosting must be refrigerated. Shelf stable just means that it doesn't have to be refrigerated while sitting on a shelf after being made. Were as you made it and it would be refrigerated. Anything shelf stable after opening the container must be refrigerated.

jamiekwebb Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #9 of 9

Whatever.... once I ice my cakes I can leave them on the counter under a dome for a few days. No biggie nothing happens to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%