Fondant Bubbles

Decorating By WildSugar Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 11:33pm by WildSugar

WildSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildSugar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 5

So normally my MMF works perfectly. I usually make it as i go because it's so quick and easy. But last week i had 3 cakes so i decided to make the fondant ahead of time. BAD idea. I did 4 batches of MMF and put them in the fridge. In the next 3 days i pulled them out and kneaded in the coloring. Every. Single. One. ended up too soft and gooey and had bubbles in it when i rolled it out. I had to put a TON more powdered sugar in it, and even then it was hard to put on the cakes because it was too stretchy and had the stupid bubbles in it. Whats the deal? I'm blaming it on refrigerating it and not using fresh MMF, but i dont really know?

4 replies
gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 5

I always make ahead and I NEVER put in fridge.

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 5

I usually make mine a day or two in advance.. I just wrap it a few times in plastic wrap and then put it in an airtight container in a cool place but not in the fridge.. I have never had an issue storing it this way..

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 5

The first time I made MMF I put it in the fridge and it was so sticky I had to add a lot of PS to it. I went searching for info on fondant trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and discovered the helpful people here at CC and learned NOT to put it in the fridge! Haven't had a problem since.

WildSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildSugar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 5

Ok....how long does it stay good without refrigeration? I have a bunch of it in my fridge now that i wont need for a while.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%