"painting" With Pearl / Petal Dust

Decorating By dololly Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:20am by sadsmile

dololly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dololly Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone. I have added some comments and stuff to posts before, but this is the first time that I have a question.

I have a cake with the WWE wrestling belt for a 9 year old. All the pieces of the cake are done in MMF, no problem. I am trying to get them shiny gold and silver (like the toy belt they gave me for direction). BIG PROBLEM. I have mixed the petal dust with high quality Vodka, vanilla extract, and just tried it dry on the fondant. YUCK icon_cry.gif I cannot get this stuff right. It is sticky, won't paint on, globs up....worst nightmare ever.

On TV, show some of the decorators painting accents with stuff that looks like mercury its so thick and such good color. Is this product available to us little people? If so where can I buy it. I wont be able to use it on this cake because it delivers tomorrow, but I would still love to have some.

Thanks.

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 10

I have some Americolor silver airbrush color and that's exactly what it reminds me of...the mercury that used to have to be chased across the floor whenever one of us kids dropped a glass thermometer.

You can order Americolor or buy it at a cake decorating supply shop. The silver is enough color that you can paint it onto black fondant and it makes silver. I haven't tried their gold yet (Been trying to think of a reason that I "need" it)

sleepy33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy33 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 10

I just used some CK Luster Dust (not pearl) mixed with a tiny bit of vodka and painted it on fondant. It worked very well, but it took me a bit to get it right. I finally figured out that I had too much vodka; you want to just mix it with a teeeeeny tiny little drop of vodka for it to be a bright metallic color, otherwise it's too diffuse and washed out.

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 10

I find mixing it with melted white fat makes it much easier to paint with than vodka. I use our White Flora- don't know whetehr Crisco would work in a similar manner?

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 10

Bonnie, when you paint with shortening, does it dry or stay wet? I've been wanting to try it.

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 10

It dries and adds even more shine to lustre dusts. I've not tried it with petal dusts but it's brilliant for lustre dusts and makes a proper paint texture (I always find vodka runny or gloppy even if I'm just adding a couple of drops).

sALLI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sALLI Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 10

I would love the info myself

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151

It dries and adds even more shine to lustre dusts. I've not tried it with petal dusts but it's brilliant for lustre dusts and makes a proper paint texture (I always find vodka runny or gloppy even if I'm just adding a couple of drops).

Thanks! I will definitely try it icon_biggrin.gif

dololly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dololly Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #9 of 10

I have been wondering about the Crisco thing. Has anyone tried it? I am going to try that. One more question about using the vodka...do you use the whole little bottle of luster / pearl dust at a time? Or do you add a little at a time? And about the Americolor airbrush silver...you use it right out of the bottle? With a paint brush or you actually airbrush it on?

Thanks so much for the responses.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #10 of 10

If you don't have an air brush then get some Highlighter dust in silver and paint it dry dusted onto fresh fondant. it will be brilliant silver. I tried the silver glaze and I hated it then I got the Highlighter in gold and silver-worth it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%