Help For A Newbie Please!

Decorating By DetailsByDawn Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 4:58pm by DetailsByDawn

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping some of you can help me out with some advice! I am fairly new to cake decoarting - I mostly do cakes for family and friends and try out new techniques as much as I can. I work mostly in buttercream with chocolate accents.

I have a very large, 4-tier, elegant cake in a safari theme to complete for the end of Oct. It will be covered in fondant and decorated with hand-sculpted safari animals.

I would really like to frost and possibly fill with SMBC. My first question is can I refrigerate the fondant-covered cake? I would love some advice from those who regularly refrigerate their fondant-covered cakes. Also, if I use SMBC, how long can I leave it out at the reception safely? If I can't refrigerate, does anyone have a great, not-too-sweet icing recipe that would be stable at room temp for 2-3 days?

Re: the fondant figures. I am planning on using homemade MMF. How far in advance can I start making these? I would like to start right away and make 1 every couple of days, as I am NOT the world's best sculptor!! They will take a while to dry, as I'd like the figures to be "plump". Once air-dried, do I store them at room temp in a sealed container? Will they be okay for the next 2 months? The event is on Oct 25th.

I thank you all so much for reading and offering any advice you have.

Thanks,
Dawn

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant should not be refrigerated. The moisture in the fridge will make it weep and melt. SMBC does not require refrigeration. Once it's covered in the fondant, it should be fine for about a week in a typical room temp of less than 75 deg F (I turn our air down to 70 when I'm deco-ing, but it's not absolutely neccessary). Yes, you can (and should) start the figures now. Do NOT store them in a sealed container or they will become soft again. Store them loosely covered (to keep dust off) in a cool, dry, dark place (like in your pantry or linen closet).

DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 4

Really? I had no idea SMBC was room temp stable. I ALWAYS refrigerate it. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable leaving it out, even at 70 degrees, for 2 days with the egg whites. I'm so paranoid about making people sick. Thank you for the info though, maybe I'll do a test cake and leave it out to see what happens - I'll let my "favourite" BIL try it, LOL.
I appreciate your advice on the figures, I will get started right away - thank goodness I know not to seal them now. I would have been devastated.

DetailsByDawn Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 4

Bump. Any advice at all would be so appreciated. Thanks! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%