Never Made Cake But Need To Make Mum's 60Th Bday Cake Help !

Decorating By LimeyTurtle Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 2:41am by LimeyTurtle

LimeyTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LimeyTurtle Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:01am
post #1 of 4

I'm slightly in over my head ! ! I have been asked to make my Mum's 60th birthday cake ! Problem is I've never made a cake before !!!

She's very classy and likes things nice and simple. I'm thinking a two/three tier cake in black and white. I'll be buying an "M" monogram with swarovski diamonds to put on the top tier.

How do they stack the different levels without them falling? Is there some kind of sugary glue ?

My other question is what is that icing called that is nice and thick that I can lay on top of the cake and then cut around, It's very smooth looking ? Also do I just buy it from a shop, how do I make it from scratch. I'd probably buy it if possible but I have no clue where to find it. Then comes the decorating.....OMG I'm so in over my head.

My Mum is so dear to me and I just want to make her happy. I only get to see her 6 months of the year and I am flying to England to surprise her for her special day. I have been trying to save so hard to get there, she has no clue I am coming as she thinks I can't afford to make it over.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some ideas on how to pull this off ! My sincerest thanks to all who can take some time out to answer my questions. xxx
icon_eek.gif

3 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 4

How many people do you have to serve? That will guide you on the size of the cakes. you will need cardboard cake boards, one for each tier.

The icing you can lay on top of the cake is called fondant and can be rolled out like playdough, and cover the cake.

Quick tutorial:

Bake two circle cakes for each tier. Place one cake on a board and frost the top. Place the next layer on and level the cakes with a serrated knife(important step). Lightly frost with buttercream or smear on a thin coat of ganache. Do this for each tier.

Buy a good fondant. You can get it in colors. Work it. Roll it out with a diameter bigger than two time the height of the cake plus the diameter. Lay it on the cake and smooth from the center to the edges and down. Trim excess.

On the bottom tier and the middle tier, cut wooden dowels or straws the height of the cake from the cake board. About five for each tier. They will help support the next tiers so the cake doesn't crush. Place one in the center and the other four around it about 2 1/2 inches apart. You can now place the next tier right on the cake. Do this to the next level if you have three tiers.

If you can see the cake boards you can pipe a little buttercream to cover it. Don't try for perfection. No one ever gets there.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, LimeyTurtle. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread contains popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

Additionally, there is cake baking help including batter requirements by pan size, serving charts giving yields by pan size, use of flower nails & bake even strips and how to make your own pan grease.

Info on sleeved pastry fillings and usage charts for fondant and fillings. How to smooth b/c and apply fondant.

There's a link to illustrated cake support systems with complete directions and a sticky by leahs on the SPS system.

HTH

LimeyTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LimeyTurtle Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for the information !! I will let you know how my first cakes turns out. xx icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%