Mmf - In Refrigerator

Decorating By Virginia2008 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm by Virginia2008

Virginia2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Virginia2008 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 4

I was told I could and should store my MMF in the refrigerator. Now I am getting ready to use it (in fridge about 3 days now).

How long can it stay in the refrigerator and still be good to use?

How long should I take it out of the refrigerator before using it to put on a cake?

Do I need to cover the cake with anything special after putting the fondant on it to keep it fresh?

Thank you - I have never made this before now and never really used it and want to get it right.

Virginia

3 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #2 of 4

The recipe that I use doesn't require refrigeration. I just coat it with shortening and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

Sometimes if it's too stiff, I'll put it in the microwave for 10 second intervals and kneed it until it's the right consistency. You could try doing that if it's too hard to work with, but I'd take it out and let it come to room temperature first.

Once the cake is covered you can just store it in a cake box until your ready to serve it.

MMF has a fairly long shelf life, I've stored mine for about 2 weeks and it was still very good....some last longer then that.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:00am
post #3 of 4

What I read is that you need to smear it with a light coat of Crisco, wrap it tightly and put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours and up to 2 weeks. It's very very hard when you take it out so you can microwave it for about 10 seconds to loosen it up for rolling.

good luck!
Cat

Virginia2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Virginia2008 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the info. I took it out of the refrigerator this morning, and it is good to go right now. I am mixing a color into it - kneading it in and it seems like it will be just fine.

Thank you again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%