I Re-Made My Wedding Cake For My Anniversary

Decorating By kelleym Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 12:58pm by gloria

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 40

Today is my 15th wedding anniversary! party.gif It seems unbelievable that it could have been so long. A lot of you have already seen the picture that I post from time to time of my ugly wedding cake. It was not good. It was poofy and gaudy, and to quote someone funny here, looked like it had come straight from the set of the Golden Girls. icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't make cakes then... I didn't know how to articlate what was wrong with the cake. I didn't complain, I was too busy - but I was mortified to have to display it and have all my guests think that I had ordered it and that I actually liked it.

So for this anniversary, I decided to have some fun. I would make my wedding cake again, but the way I had expected it to look. There were rules. It had to be a 6", 8", 10" like the first one. It had to be on ugly Wilton crystal-look pillars that I had to special order (because I DID order the first one like that). It had to be all buttercream (no fondant in sight in 1994). It had to have ruffle swags and pink roses, because that is what I asked for. And I had to use the same Precious Moments figurines that I used then. icon_wink.gif (I was young. It was 1994. Gimme a break.)

It required thorough research of the 1991 Wilton Dream Wedding Cakes book for me to achieve the right look for this cake, but I think I did succeed in creating the cake that I wish I had had at my wedding.

Here are pics of the original cake and my take on it. Be kind with your comments, remember it was a different era of caking. icon_wink.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

39 replies
The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #2 of 40

What an awesome job you did on it!! It's so beautiful! (The original looks a little strange.) My wedding cake was similar - I had a Precious Moments figure on it too, lol! I'm hoping to duplicate it too for our 10th anniversary. It's crazy how much cake styles have changed over the years!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 40

Lol. Much better! thumbs_up.gif And they did have fondant back then. I did my first fondant covered cake in '90. Am I telling my age?! -icon_surprised.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #4 of 40

I really like your version. It is so crisp and neat (if that makes sense) in the icing and the piping. The the swags ares so much better and ohh your roses are beautiful. Are they buttercream too. I could never do those.

Happy Anniversery party.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #5 of 40

Your new one is great! Those crystal pillars are... um... NO. lol But I think you did a great job.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 40

Very nice! I like the crystal pillars myself...for the style of cake and the topper they go with it well. The original cake...well I think it is sweet. Not real professional and had a ways to go but sweet none the less.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #7 of 40

I like your version. I don't notice the pillars when looking at the cake. I had to go back and look. On the original all I noticed was the ruffles.

I'm glad you finally got the cake of your dreams...even if 15 years later.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #8 of 40

Your version is FAR better than the original! I will have to swipe this idea when my 10 year anniversary rolls around. I HATED my wedding cake too, and I cringe everytime I see pictures of it. Like you, I'm determined to make my recreation SO much better!

icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Today is my 15th wedding anniversary! party.gif It seems unbelievable that it could have been so long. A lot of you have already seen the picture that I post from time to time of my ugly wedding cake. It was not good. It was poofy and gaudy, and to quote someone funny here, looked like it had come straight from the set of the Golden Girls. icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't make cakes then... I didn't know how to articlate what was wrong with the cake. I didn't complain, I was too busy - but I was mortified to have to display it and have all my guests think that I had ordered it and that I actually liked it.

So for this anniversary, I decided to have some fun. I would make my wedding cake again, but the way I had expected it to look. There were rules. It had to be a 6", 8", 10" like the first one. It had to be on ugly Wilton crystal-look pillars that I had to special order (because I DID order the first one like that). It had to be all buttercream (no fondant in sight in 1994). It had to have ruffle swags and pink roses, because that is what I asked for. And I had to use the same Precious Moments figurines that I used then. icon_wink.gif (I was young. It was 1994. Gimme a break.)

It required thorough research of the 1991 Wilton Dream Wedding Cakes book for me to achieve the right look for this cake, but I think I did succeed in creating the cake that I wish I had had at my wedding.

Here are pics of the original cake and my take on it. Be kind with your comments, remember it was a different era of caking. icon_wink.gif

How nice....what a great way to celebrate...and the cake is beautiful!

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:00am
post #10 of 40

You did a great job ! Funny how things change and Happy Anniversary.
My 25th Anniversary is next week and I am undecided what to make . I keep thinking something 3 tier , stacked,and no pillars! maybe purple and silver!. Im not even sure what my oringinal cake looked like! hahaha... I'll have to look at the VCR tape! (yes vcr tape LOL) I think it was a sheet cake with a round cake sitting on pillars. Anyway i definately don't want a repeat of my cake. LOL

Your version came out much nicer!

mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #11 of 40

I love it!!!! I think you did a great job. I have a collection of Precious Moments figurines and I had the figurine with the bride and groom kissing over the mail box on top of my cake (Sealed With A Kiss). Congrats on your 15 year anniversary.

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:09am
post #12 of 40

What a fabulous idea! Your cake looks fantastic, I'm so glad you finally had the cake you were hoping for 15 years ago.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:32am
post #13 of 40

You did a great job on your anniversary cake. It's lovely.
But your original cake wasn't as "stylin'" as our 1977 gem:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1415367

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:04am
post #14 of 40

Your cake looks gorgeous! Happy anniversary.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:19am
post #15 of 40

I love your version of the wedding cake, it so well done and precise. It is beautiful. The bakery or who ever prepared your wedding cake in 1994, looked like they used every large decorating tip they had to decorate it and get it done. So Sorry!
2009 Simply Beautiful! thumbs_up.gif
Hammy

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:23am
post #16 of 40

Wow you did such an awesome job! I like your version better to boot!

and Happy Anniversary!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:38am
post #17 of 40

Happy Anniversary ! I also got married in 1994. Fountain, ruffles OMG !! It is like having your kids look at your high school yearbooks and laughing at the clothes and hairstyles !!
Your version of the cake turned out wonderfully ! I love the thought and idea that went into re-creating it !

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #18 of 40

I think your Anniversary cake is lovely. The two cakes look like a "Reverse Cake Wreck"...less than perfect original, with a wonderfully executed "copy." You should submit it to Cake Wrecks for a Sunday Sweets entry.

Happy Anniversary!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #19 of 40

I think your re-creation is beautiful, pillars and all! Kind of reminds me of my 1997 wedding cakeicon_wink.gif Happy anniversary. Here's to 15 more happy years!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:56am
post #20 of 40

The difference is like night and day!

Yours of course is way better thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif . Very cool idea!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:47am
post #21 of 40

Fantasitc cake, I was looking at the 2nd pic thinking what she talking about it doesnt look THAT bad . . then i realised it was your version lol! ( i just got up, havent had my coffee yet lol ). Your versions great mind, really sweet.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm
post #22 of 40

Your version is so much better!! I will have to drag out the photo album to see my wedding cake (1976 - so you can imagine what I had!!) icon_eek.gif I honestly didn't even go IN to the bakery to order it. I called and told them I wanted a 2 tiered wedding cake. icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:00pm
post #23 of 40

Loucinda,
We ordered our 1977 gem from the reception hall. Never saw pictures, either. Just picked "peach roses", and that was it. I posted the photo.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #24 of 40

I just think that's the coolest idea ever.

I love your both of vintage cakes. Of course the more recent one is so much more refined but still captures the essence of the era. Too cool!

Happy Anniversary Cake Buddy!!!

What a sweet way to celebrate.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #25 of 40

kelly I actually like the original! LOL NOT for a wedding cake though...waaaayyyyy too ruffly.........but I'm thinking around the sides of an oval to mimick the look of a baby's bassinett they'd be really cool!

While the original was VERY overdone...it does show some talent for the decorator to some extent.

I think it's really cool that you remade your wedding cake, finally getting the cake you always wanted!

Oh and on a side note.......I did a wedding last year and they had a precious moments topper LOL

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #26 of 40

Happy Anniversary! They are still using Precious Moments cake toppers - I did a Wedding Cake this past December and they had a Precious Moments topper like yours!

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #27 of 40

Congratulations on your anniversary! Your remake of your own wedding cake is gorgeous... it's neat, clean and very elegant. Colors are much more modern and up to par....meanwhile your wedding cake was too pink for a wedding. Glad you are able to remake it!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #28 of 40

I do like your re-made version better! The first one isn't bad...it just looks more suitable to a 6 y/o princess' bd than a wedding.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #29 of 40

Aww that is just precious! The original cake had a LOT of pink fluff goin' on up top there but it was very sweet and your cake is absolutely gorgeous! Have fun celebrating and Happy Anniversary!

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #30 of 40

WOW!! You did an amazing job. The truth is, cake decorating was more difficult back then. I think that cake takes an amazing amount of skill. I can do anything with fondant and royal icing but put a piping bag full of buttercream in my hands shaking with morning espresso and I want to cry. I bow to you queen of buttercream! king.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%