Mini Cakes-Client Doesn't Want Fondant..

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm by brincess_b

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 9

I got a call from a customer wanting some individual cakes for a party. But she doesn't want fondant. I was wondering if there was a type of pourable buttercream that I could make, to make it more like frosting petits fours, instead of trying to ice each small little tier in regular buttercream. I'm looking for something that will be thicker, to add decorations on top of just like fondant. Any ideas?

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 9

ganache?

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 9

You can make "poured buttercream". It is the simple buttercream (butter and/or shortening and sugar) or even IMBC, warmed over water bath to pouring consistency, constantly whipping. You need to be super careful not really melt your buttercream, only just get it to this consistency.
It sets very smooth.
Try it with your buttercream.
But it is not easy to get the right temperature and not to melt it and depending on the size of your cakes it could be easier to ice them as usual. I think 2" - 3" small cakes would be OK, by 4" cakes I would think hard about it...
And the buttercream gets slightly darker - you melt the tiny air bubbles in it away.

Good luck!

HarleyDee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 9

KHalstead, I thought about doing ganache, and still might do it.

majka, I will definitely try this.. It's a smaller order, so if I did ruin a batch or two of buttercream trying this, it's not the end of the word.

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 9

poured fondant - totally different to the usual fondant, so she might be ok.
xx

HarleyDee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

poured fondant - totally different to the usual fondant, so she might be ok.
xx

I thought about that but I've never tried it, so I didn't know how it would taste. Might have to do a trial run icon_smile.gif

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 9

I think poured fondant tastes better than rolled fondant.

you will still need to crumb coat to get a smooth pour

I have also used confectionary coating the stuff call for almond bark or the wafers add a T or 2 of crisco so it stays softer and does not crack and it pours better.

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 9

How about a poured white ganache?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 9

i really, really like the poured fondant. it is a nicer eat than regular fondant - not so sweet, and just more yummy!
kinda like a thicker sort of glace icing i think is how id describe it! do a trial, and enjoy the results icon_smile.gif
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%