Homemade Veiners?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 4:18am by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:41am
post #1 of 15

Are there any tutorials on how to make your own veiners? I just can't spend that much on 1 veiner & I would have no clue where to begin. I could see my dh's eyes when he'd see that bill icon_eek.gif

14 replies
sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:57am
post #2 of 15

I am so tired! I just read "wieners" It's too expensive to buy wieners, you must make wieners! icon_lol.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:06am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-thing

I am so tired! I just read "wieners" It's too expensive to buy wieners, you must make wieners! icon_lol.gif

Your funny, I guess you really were tired. hahahaha I've never seen homemade veiners or heard of them, but they really aren't that expensive you can get them for a good price at CK Products. Or you can even try ebay.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 15

Go and buy a pack of corn husks in the mexican dept. of the grocery store. You can use one of the dried husks as a veiner for most flowers, it works fine. This is what I did until I bought some silicone ones. Very inexpensive and works!

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 15

I remember reading some where about making your own veiners with silicone plastique, Im not sure if its any cheap. Anyway i searched it and found this it might help

http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 15

I found a book with how to make them its called best of sugar roses and sugar orchids for cakes and its by Tombi Peck, Alan Dunn and tony Warren. It says you need silicone plastique or a modelling compound of your choice. I have the book so if you have any questions you can message me.

Loucinda Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 15

If you are going to buy the silicone, it would be easier and about the same cost to just purchase an already made veiner, IMO. (I do love the makeyourownmolds stuff though!)

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the tip about the corn husks!!! Do you have any tips for leaves? I'll probably be doing carnations, roses & maybe cala lillies

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 15

You might try using silk leaves. Place it on top of the fondant or gumpaste and roll over it lightly with a small rolling pin.

Loucinda Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 15

You can use the corn husks for both the petals and leaves, just use different parts of the husk (some of the "ridges" are deep - towards the bottom of the husk and the top of it they are a little less so) Use lighter or heavier pressure when veining for different results too. Then just use a boning tool for the really deep marks you want to make.

The silk leaves are a good idea too - and for pressure, instead of a rolling pin, use one of the little round soft make-up applicator sponges.

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you guys sooo much. I can't wait until my new cutters arrive

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 15

I have a friend who made some vieners from that blue stuff, and said that it was just as cheap and much more convenient to purchase them.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Are there any tutorials on how to make your own veiners? I just can't spend that much on 1 veiner & I would have no clue where to begin. I could see my dh's eyes when he'd see that bill icon_eek.gif

Hi Dandelion56602... You can use the corn husks for a lot of veining but if you need to buy you may want to look at Scott Clark Woolley's site at http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/. He's got a lot of cutters and handmade veiners that are actually reasonable. I just got a 3 pc magnolia cutter set, 1 magnolia veiner, and a 2 pc rose leaf veiner set for $30 total (+ shipping).

The veiners were only about $9 ea.

The best part was he shipped once I promised to send payment. He didn't make me wait for payment to get to him before he shipped. He said he operates on the honor system - rare these days huh?

Give him a look - you might find what you are looking for.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 15

Hello, my cosin used to make the leaves out of the real ones...she will get one from any tree and then press the fondant to the leave......i hope this help lol

dandelion56602 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:18am
post #15 of 15

kyhendry, wow. I had looked at his dvds before & b/c they were so expensive I never looked at anything else. They are great prices!

Now, what cutters & veiners would you recommend to be the top 5 purchases? I think I'm going to stick to a 5 petal rose cutter for now (b/c people around here wouldn't know the difference anyway). But I don't know what the most requested flowers are. The cake I'm making is for a benefit & I am hoping to blow people away & them not believe the flowers are "edible".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%