Scary Contracts...

Business By rharris524 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 1:17am by -K8memphis

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #1 of 9

I've been browsing and reading contracts trying to come up with my own. I have to say that I find them all pretty scary viewed from the clients perspective. I know that the point is to protect us (the bakers) but jeez, basically they seems to say that we'll try but any large number of things can go wrong and oh well, too bad for you. Do the clients balk at these or do they sign them without a second thought?

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 9

I just rewrote my contract and have more "scary" language in it, but I present it to the bride by telling them that I think that any question they have should be answered in it. Since I started using that contract three weeks ago (that has more detailed information) I've received between 10-12 new bookings back. I don't think that anything we could put in a cake contract is anywhere NEAR what a reception venue would have in theirs, so these brides have seen much worse, I'm sure.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 9

Rharris, I'm with you.

I just have a very straight forward one pager--I write all the particular details of that cake order and delivery details--it says a few pertinent things like non refundable this and that, order more cake if you can't cut straight, we all sign it and away we go.

I'm not into reliving past nightmares nor into giving anyone any bright ideas either.

But that's just how I do it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 9

its your business, its your contract. if you dont want a wordy CYA version, just do a simple one. you can always add as you go along.
on the other hand, the wordy versions are from experience, not paranoia. so think about what you want to include/ leave out very carefully!
xx

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 9

I understand what your saying, but heres the thing. If I tell a bride "DO NOT put this Italian meruinge BUTTERCREAM frosted cake filled with CHOCOLATE ganache outside!" and they do it anyway, I'm not going to refund them a dime. And yes, someone will do exactly that...and then get mad at me when it melts. These "scary" contracts are because from what I notice, people don't want to use common sense when it comes to these cakes & then want to hold the baker liable. So I'll go ahead and list all the common sense things that need to happen just in case the client may overlook some. Also, it seems that if you do get a budget bride, the first thing they try to get money back on is the cake. I ain't trying to make ANYONE'S wedding dreams come true at my expense.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I understand what your saying, but heres the thing. If I tell a bride "DO NOT put this Italian meruinge BUTTERCREAM frosted cake filled with CHOCOLATE ganache outside!" and they do it anyway, I'm not going to refund them a dime. And yes, someone will do exactly that...and then get mad at me when it melts. These "scary" contracts are because from what I notice, people don't want to use common sense when it comes to these cakes & then want to hold the baker liable. So I'll go ahead and list all the common sense things that need to happen just in case the client may overlook some. Also, it seems that if you do get a budget bride, the first thing they try to get money back on is the cake. I ain't trying to make ANYONE'S wedding dreams come true at my expense.

Another thing. I think we have to realize, in general, what may be "common sense" to us, may not be "common sense" to someone else. My friend and I always say that there really is no such thing as "common sense". LOL!

I'd prefer to have it all spelled out not only as a business owner, but as a customer. As a business owner, I'd want to protect the business. As a paying customer, I'd like to protect my cake to make sure that I do everything that I am supposed to ensure that I dont mess up my purchase!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 9

See this thread on how I explain those "scary" parts to a couple: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-649009-30.html A contract is suppose to make you BOTH feel secure in the transaction.

See my blog on why we have lengthy contracts: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/contract

What's scarier than "scary" language in a contract? Standing in a courtroom trying to get the money that you're owed or trying to get your silver plateau back.

Don't worry about being "nice" or hurting anyone's feeeeeeeeelinnnnnnnngs. It's not personal .... it's business.

Under perfect circumstances, we shouldn't need a contract at all. You order a cake ... I agree to make it. I deliver said cake ... you pay me. It SHOULD be that simple.

But if it was, we wouldn't have so many Bridezilla shows to entertain us! icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 9

and why should our contracts be any less scary than:

mortgage contracts?

loan (car, boat, etc.) contracts?

or any other business contract?

at least mine is in plain English and at 12 point type and not in gobbledygook at 6 point or small type.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #9 of 9

Well I mean it's not like I haven't had my fair share of brides who think the sun stands still for their wedding day and that it will no longer melt butter in 90 degree weather like it does 364 other days of the year.

In so many words, I say you can put your wedding cake on a red hot barbeque grill for all I care, it's guaranteed to the grill er ah cake table and that's it. My responsibility ends there. If you move it it's at your own risk. If it's set outside it's at your own risk. It will most definitely melt. But go 'head--it's your cake.

Not having a detailed contract doesn't mean you don't get nutjobs you have to deal with. You just squosh 'em like flies during the consult. But I for dang sure don't wanna sit & muse with them about every other idiot I ever dealt with.

And like has been pointed out in other threads, contracts do not come close to bullet proofing you by any means. It's a transaction. Stuff gets made money gets paid we move on. I err on the side of not complicating it. I spend my time overthinking everything else I'm too busy with that to repeatedly over-document the past.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%