Wow Cakeboss So Expensive To Start Out!

Business By LadyAlmuina Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 1:27pm by spalmer

LadyAlmuina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyAlmuina Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 27

I'm new in the bussiness like not even a week new. I just decided to start an out of home bussiness. I need a way to keep count of everything and I came across CAKE BOSS which I LOVE but right now its to much for me, I can't afford it. I was wondering if someone could give me other ideas or know where I can get Cake Boss Cheaper.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

26 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 27

Hi Lady Almuina,

We believe that CakeBoss is very reasonably priced given the features that it offers. Remember that Cake Central members get a 10% discount off the retail price. icon_smile.gif

CakeBoss is only sold directly to customers via our web site.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Kelley

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 27

If you consider the cost of ledgers, order books, receipt books, recipe binders, not to mention the loss of business or at least the frustration of misplacing any one of the paper type items...the cost of cakeboss at that much at all...and that the various phases of it work together.

another program combined with other forms of bookeeping and recipe sorting would still be dang near the same cost and it won't be all together like cb is.

There's the pricing matrix (free on CC...search pricing matrix) but you'd still have to keep track of your books....

or simply do it the 'good ol' fashioned way' until business gets heavy enough to warrant the less stressful way of maintaining your stuff, then, order it.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 27

I also think that cakeboss is reasonably priced for everything it has to offer. You will not find another program like it.

Also if you think that $99 is too expensive, just wait till you spend that much in just a set of pans. Starting a business of any kind is going to cost you, with all the permits and licensing and all the other stuff you have to have.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 27

My 2 cents ...

Cake Boss is a one-time payment. You don't have to pay for a yearly license to use it, and they are very, very helpful if you have problems.

You have it all at your fingertips ... recipes, client lists, past orders, upcoming orders, a calendar you can use for all your household 'stuff' - it's not just for caking anymore. icon_wink.gif

If you're only doing the odd cake right now, then I would suggest putting aside a little bit of money each time you do (like paying yourself for a job well done) - say, $5. Even if you aren't charging for them, pretend you are. You'll have the cost saved up in no time.

I LOVE CAKE BOSS!!! icon_biggrin.gif (we need a cake boss emoticon)

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:10am
post #6 of 27

I have only had it a few days and already it I LOVE IT!!!! I thought that the price was really good considering some of the other business software I looked at. I was even showing it to a woman I know that has her own bakery, It's worth the money.

LadyAlmuina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyAlmuina Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:50am
post #7 of 27

Well at least i know its that good ! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess when i save some money up ill get it! 10% off is also better for me. Every penny counts! icon_razz.gif

Thanks girls for all the wonderful comments on Cake Boss now I know I do not need any more researching! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks* icon_biggrin.gif

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:53am
post #8 of 27

I bit the bullet and got cake boss, even though I was hesitant to spend the money. Seeing how much I was undercharging for my cakes blew my mind. The program will pay for itself now that I will be able to say to someone "Sure I can do that for you. Let me call you back with a price.", run to the computer and figure out how much I should really be charging for the order, which will undoubtedly be more than the number I would have pulled out of the air otherwise. Get it. You won't be sorry. And hey, if you are, they have a 30 day return policy, I think.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 27

If you're a licensed business and file business taxes, you can write it off as an office expense!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 27

What is cake boss?

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 27

Mensch, cake boss is a very nifty computer program that will all but bake your cakes for you. icon_wink.gif

You can put in a master ingredient list with, for example, how much a cup of flour, an egg, a tsp of vanilla, a box mix and a cup of oil is, then put in your recipes and it'll tell you exactly how much it costs to make any particular cake, including sections where you add in your overhead, hourly rate and so on.

Then you can create customer invoices and track costs and profit made, and do about a zillion other things. Click on the blue words: cake boss and it'll take you to the website where there are demos and far more coherent descriptions of the product. icon_smile.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 27

It sounds amazing and i've watched the Demo. I really want it. one thread asked what i'd buy with $150 and i forgot to put Cake Boss. I need it really bad! Just gotta bite the bullet and pay for it.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherWantsCake

I bit the bullet and got , even though I was hesitant to spend the money. Seeing how much I was undercharging for my cakes blew my mind. The program will pay for itself now that I will be able to say to someone "Sure I can do that for you. Let me call you back with a price.", run to the computer and figure out how much I should really be charging for the order, which will undoubtedly be more than the number I would have pulled out of the air otherwise. Get it. You won't be sorry. And hey, if you are, they have a 30 day return policy, I think.

What she said icon_biggrin.gif. I love knowing exactly what each recipe costs me to make, so I get a per serving cost for myself, from there I just need to estimate how much time is the cake will take and I can figure a price that is fair for both me and the customer.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 27

You wanna hear about undercharging??? Good Night! Before CakeBoss, I was undercharging to the point where I might as well have been giving my cakes away. One example is a wedding cake- first customer (before Cakeboss) $297. Onc eI got Cakeboss and used it to figure out my actual costs that same cake is now $515.

Two Words- BUY IT!

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #15 of 27

I've heard about it, never checked it out. Now I just got done watching the 'video tour' and CANT WAIT to get it!!!!

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #16 of 27

I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts about Cake Boss. I am DEFINITELY going to get it now. I know without a doubt I am undercharging for my cakes. I guess I need something to tell me that they are worth more! THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:19am
post #17 of 27

I love my cake boss! It only cost the profit of a couple cakes. Just offer a one day sale of like 30% off and that will pay for the cake boss.
It is so worth the money! I know how much I am making and I can pay myself what I am worth! You should get it! icon_biggrin.gif

hjustesen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hjustesen Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:54am
post #18 of 27

I was actually surprised at how reasonable the price was compared to a bookkeeping program, and this does not only most of the book keeping jobs, but helps you price the cake too. I WISH my dh could get Quickbooks for such a good price and not be expected to update every year!

tashistation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashistation Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #19 of 27

You guys got me all excited about cake boss. Then I saw that it's only available for PCs. I'm a mac user. Anyone know of a similar program for the Mac OS X? thanks

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:57am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashistation

You guys got me all excited about . Then I saw that it's only available for PCs. I'm a mac user. Anyone know of a similar program for the Mac OS X? thanks

You can run Cake Boss on a Mac if you have Parallels.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjustesen

I was actually surprised at how reasonable the price was compared to a bookkeeping program, and this does not only most of the book keeping jobs, but helps you price the cake too. I WISH my dh could get Quickbooks for such a good price and not be expected to update every year!

Exactly - It's VERY reasonably priced, especially for all that it does! Cake Boss organizes all of my orders wonderfully. Now that I have it, I don't know what I would do without it!! thumbs_up.gif

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:08pm
post #22 of 27

MY GOODNESS! Obviously I wasn't thinking outside the box and got a bit stupid with the software...I wasn't using it to it's full potential (ie, I was fiddling with so many recipes and didn't think to create a MASTER LIST - which was the big thing I wanted) Anyway, I'm off to buy it again, WITHOUT asking for a refund. Buying it for keeps!!!

*sigh* how embarassing. Live and learn!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #23 of 27

AMY...is that your actual engagement ring on your avatar? If so give that man his props...Awesome!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

AMY...is that your actual engagement ring on your avatar? If so give that man his props...Awesome!

Lol, yeah that's my ring. I've changed my avatar though. icon_smile.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #25 of 27

I just bought cake boss a few weeks ago...it's great, only problem is, I have to get in the habit of using it, instead of scrap pieces of paper!!icon_wink.gif

Amia, I'm disappointed, I missed the ring!! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #26 of 27

if you REALLY can't afford it, then just wait...get yourself a receipt book that allows you to write out invoices and has a carbon copy of them so you can keep track of what you're spending/selling. If you're not turning a profit then you have NO business. Once business picks up, then order cake boss. The first time you get a wedding cake order you should have enough profit to buy the program.

There have been countless times when I have pulled up my order screen and seen cakes due the following weekend that I forgot completely about!!! Only to open up the order and go "oh yeahhhhhhhh"........if it wasn't for CakeBoss I probably would have forgotten several cakes and wouldn't be as highly recommended by my customers as I am!

That program is worth 5 X's the cost. I'm just glad they don't charge 5 X's as much like other business software programs do!

spalmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spalmer Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:27pm
post #27 of 27

I am an Accountant full time during the day and a baker at night and I LOVE CAKE BOSS. Believe me I am very tight with my money (my partner can account to that) and the money spent on Cake Boss was so worth it from day one. The support that comes with Cake Boss is worth the $99+ alone. I had questions and e-mailed them and had an answer within the next hr. I would suggest that you put your money towards this if you are planning to keep growing your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%