Ultimate Cake Off - Tlc Channel

Lounge By MariaLovesCakes Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm by ccr03

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 43

Apologies if this has already been covered in another thread, but did anyone see the show on Sunday? I had it recorded and watched it today.

So I won't say much because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

BUT, I wasn't to thrilled with the judges panel. They have on there the lady from Cake Divas and she never impressed me very much. Remember that show in Amazing Wedding Cakes? They are no longer par of the show. I thought that their cakes were a little sloppy. But anyway, she is there. She was announced as one of the best and a worldly recognized and renowed. Mmmm, don't know about that. I never heard of her until I show Amazing Wedding Cakes.

Anyway, I won't be mean! icon_rolleyes.gif But I wasn't too thrilled to see her there. The other judge lady I am a little familiar with. I saw her on a wedding show episode long time ago along with other famous cake decorators. She is in her own leage. She makes cakes that I have seen anyone make like hers.

It want' bad but its more like a copycat of the Food Network Cake Challenges. Did anyone see it?

42 replies
cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 43

I saw it and I must say I was more than a little dissapointed. I really don't like the lady from cake divas, never saw her make any cakes. She was mostly out greeting clients from what I remember. Whole show struck me as a cheap knock off a FN challenge. Bleck!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 43

The editors remove so much stuff that would probably be a LOT more interesting than the long suspence pauses. I also don't recall knowing any thing about the "world renouned" decorator.

The mini competitions that allow the winner to put one team out of commission for 30 minutes is bothersome. Pitting the teams against each other in this way is not very sportsmanlike. At least the team of women took it well and used the time to make a game plan.

I guess I watch it out of some sort of cake addiction.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

The mini competitions that allow the winner to put one team out of commission for 30 minutes is bothersome. Pitting the teams against each other in this way is not very sportsmanlike. At least the team of women took it well and used the time to make a game plan.

I don't like that either. It's probably one of the ways they are trying to be different from Food Network though.

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 43

I was planning to watch this until I read that Leigh Grode from Cake Divas was a judge. Judge of what?........I never saw her behind a piping bag. Only saw her barking orders...(shudder) Couldn't stand her personality on Amazing Wedding Cakes......wouldn't waste my time watcing anything she was part of.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:24am
post #6 of 43

I saw it, I think they would do better if they came up with an original cake show, rather then copy the food network. That said, I think the mini competitions, bad, pitting the teams against each other that way leaves a bad taste in ones mouth, adding an extra element half way through, unfair.

I liked the cakes they were original, and they did good work under trying conditions.

I also saw Sunday nights challenge on the Food network, and Stevie (can't remember her last name) was there, she has to be by far the sloppiest decorator ever to appear on television. Not only that but she treated her helper very poorly I thought. I think that
she didn't like the assistants complaints about the mess they had. Her type of decorating just isn't mine I guess.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 43

I watch the new show out of addiction as well, but honestly... I'm not liking it very much. the announcers/judges are bland and I'm not crazy about the personalities 9this is just my own opinion!). The show is slow paced and I think would be good with a little revamping....

I am not crazy at all about the lady from Cake Divas

arnab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arnab Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:55am
post #8 of 43

I saw it and really like other fellow cakers just because of an insane adiction for cake shows. I agree the Cake Divas owner as a judge there was not a smart move, I never saw her in AWC decorating anything.

It was disapointing to see the dinamics not from the contestants but from the judges, too rude for my taste. Also dislike the 30 minutes penalty for a cake tasting, wow that is like telling them your cake is not that good so you need to be punish, not nice for business... the wining cake was beautiful all those figurines Wow!

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #9 of 43

this is my least favorite show. I find the lead judge/host to be somewhat rude......he just gets under my skin. but there is just something about the show that is not pleasing.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #10 of 43

I agree with everyone. It's not a very good show. The cakes have to be so hugh that no one is really able to do their best work. And the judges - who died and left them to play god? I like Food Network's Challenge much better, but of course I will still watch this show. I think Sugarshack is supposed to be on an episode!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #11 of 43

I'm not liking it either. I watch it b/c I want to see some cake, but it seems stiff, for lack of a better word. Almost like the editing it sloppy. Too many pauses too. The host is terrible & a host can make or break a show. I think he breaks it! I've never heard of him & how many cakes has he made? i thought it said he's a chef. Chef & baker are 2 different things. Chef & decorator are different as well. I think if they don't do some major revamp it won't be back

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #12 of 43

Look at the 'general' forum and see a whole thread of discussion on this topic.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 43

Wow, I guess we all agree.... Even on not liking the judge from Cake Divas.

The upcoming shows seem to be having the more veterans type decoarators like Norman Davis. Here's a link of the contestant list:

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/ultimate-cake-off/contestants/contestants.html

I guess I will try to get passed the Cake Diva judge and just concentrate on the cakes being done. You can learn so much from watching them make cakes. Love it!!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm
post #14 of 43

hi all, i went to the web site and meet the judges, they only had the girl you're talking about. is this the same one, that has the lady with the short blondish hair with an accent, i don't care for her it seems like she arrogant sp and it's not like she's seeing the entire cake, there's just something about her, what is it?

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 43

I agree with one and all, the judges in this program are not that impressive (although, to be fair, I'm not fond of Kerri Vincent, either, and her ascerbic comments that get aired). Yes, the editing could use some help.

As for the "mini competitions", these decorators are already in competition with each other over the course of a full day. While it may not seem fair to give someone a "win" in the mini and make another competitor sit out for a half hour, they all did sign on to take their lumps. We may not think it's "fair", but why should a BC cake be judged more harshly than a fondant-covered one? If the decorator has the skills to pull it off, it should not matter one bit what techniques were used to create a stunning piece of edible art.

Nope, the show's not a real impressive one, but every show has to start somewhere. I do like to watch it for the creativity factor, to see how these decorators work with their staffs, and to learn new techniques that I may not have thought of before. We don't all have access to a lot of technique classes or the $$ to attend a cake decorating cruise, and some of us are more visual learners than. So watching these shows is an education in itself (even if you are learning about things that you DON'T want to do!).

Just my 2 cents' worth,

Odessa

MariaLovesCakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

hi all, i went to the web site and meet the judges, they only had the girl you're talking about. is this the same one, that has the lady with the short blondish hair with an accent, i don't care for her it seems like she arrogant sp and it's not like she's seeing the entire cake, there's just something about her, what is it?

I didn't see that one... I only saw the Cake Diva one and the other lady with back hair...

Maybe they you will change the judges later on?

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #17 of 43

I don't mind the lady from Cake Divas so much. When her store was featured on Amazing Wedding Cakes, I was less than impressed by the talent she hired. Shrugs. Who knows if she can decorate. That said, I thought she was quite fair and her critique of each piece was spot on. She's fine. Not sure about the male judge though. He's a bit off putting though I can't put my finger on why that is.

It's interesting that their first episode features realtive unknowns. You'd think they'd open with Norman or someone.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #18 of 43

Wow, As one of the competitors in the last episode it saddens me to see such harsh words from people. There were alot of people involved in producing this show. They gathered many unknowns to showcase that we are real people with talent. We spend months and plenty of money making this happen. It is very different from FN Challenge. Everytime I read a thread like this it makes me not want to come here anymore. The show is new and with new things it takes time to get used to.

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

It is very different from FN Challenge. Everytime I read a thread like this it makes me not want to come here anymore. The show is new and with new things it takes time to get used to.

I wouldn't take it personally moydear77. It's a good show...it's just not at its best yet. The competitors are great, the venue is good, there are just a few things that might need a little tweaking. I think it might have gotten rushed to air while cake shows are still hot.

I think everyone's biggest problem is the judging personalities don't come off as classy. While Kerri comes off as acerbic these guys come off as snotty. There's a fine line there.

I decided I don't even mind the mini-competitions...but wish they didn't interrupt the actual cake designing. I get into watching the cake come together, then they break for a competition. Makes me cranky when I'm in the sugar zone. icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #20 of 43

Hi sugar friends!

I was a competitor as well, and in my opinion, they wanted something different than the FN. I think the shows will get better as they "tweak" things.... It is amazing how much they DON'T put on the show.

It is AMAZING the time and $$$$ it takes to be on one of these shows. I never realized it. A TON of work goes into getting ready....

I hope the show will flourish and grow as time goes on. We sure had the time of our lives!!!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif
PS - Our show airs Sept. 28th (Two Sweet Sister Team)

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:58pm
post #21 of 43

I watched it all the way through, I know, I'm addicted to cake shows. I found the idea of the judges being "world reknowned" nearly laughable, the Cake Diva lady is known only in her circle, the others maybe a bit more recognizable. As for the content, I'd like to see more cake decorating and less of the personalities of the decorators and the panel of judges. But, I will be in front of the tv when the next show airs.

moydear77 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_canary

Quote:

It is very different from FN Challenge. Everytime I read a thread like this it makes me not want to come here anymore. The show is new and with new things it takes time to get used to.

I wouldn't take it personally moydear77. It's a good show...it's just not at its best yet. The competitors are great, the venue is good, there are just a few things that might need a little tweaking. I think it might have gotten rushed to air while cake shows are still hot.

I think everyone's biggest problem is the judging personalities don't come off as classy. While Kerri comes off as acerbic these guys come off as snotty. There's a fine line there.

I decided I don't even mind the mini-competitions...but wish they didn't interrupt the actual cake designing. I get into watching the cake come together, then they break for a competition. Makes me cranky when I'm in the sugar zone. icon_biggrin.gif

How do you not take it personal? That is silly. I liked the judges honesty. It was a client decision regardless.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Hi sugar friends!

I was a competitor as well, and in my opinion, they wanted something different than the FN. I think the shows will get better as they "tweak" things.... It is amazing how much they DON'T put on the show.

It is AMAZING the time and $$$$ it takes to be on one of these shows. I never realized it. A TON of work goes into getting ready....

I hope the show will flourish and grow as time goes on. We sure had the time of our lives!!!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif
PS - Our show airs Sept. 28th (Two Sweet Sister Team)

Can't wait to watch you!

But yeah, they will need to do a lot more tweaking to separate it from FN.

I think the Cake Diva's judge is a great choice because she is very much a perfectionist and will spot anything that would deduct points - on FN, anyway - but as a client chosen cake I'm thinking clients are not going to bother a lot with the fine points. Still, it would be an honor to hear that she thought my cake was spectatcular with her keen eye.

I love Margaret Braun's work, so I was excited to see her there.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:22pm
post #24 of 43

Jennifer, I will be watching. Will be exciting to see you at work.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #25 of 43

To ALL of the competitors- I give you tons of credit for putting yourselves out there! I couldn't do it and wouldn't do it!
I love seeing fellow CCers on this show. Thank you all for entertaining me icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

To ALL of the competitors- I give you tons of credit for putting yourselves out there! I couldn't do it and wouldn't do it!
I love seeing fellow CCers on this show. Thank you all for entertaining me icon_smile.gif

THANKS!

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #27 of 43

So it's a knock off of Food Network Challenge but the more the merrier!!!!!
I'm watching anyway icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:52pm
post #28 of 43

You know...never say never! I didn't ever think I would be a part of something this cool....what an honor.....

I can't even tell you how much fun we had!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

My life is blessed with so many sugar friends.... and so many more to meet!! icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:57pm
post #29 of 43

My favorite thing about this show is that we get to see some CCers in action! Bring on some more episodes--can't wait to see Jennifer MI and Sugarshack...

In another thread about this show, Big Bob wrote and said hello--that was fun! He was a great sport!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #30 of 43
Quote:

How do you not take it personal? That is silly. I liked the judges honesty. It was a client decision regardless.

You don't take it personally because no one has said the competitors stink. The competitors rock. I'd like to see more of them.

If you are a producer or in charge of the show in some way, then by all means, take it personally. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%