Alternative To A Bench Scraper???

Decorating By cmorie86 Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm by cindy1176

cmorie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmorie86 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all! I'm sort of new to CC and I absolutely love it icon_smile.gif

I got my first cake request and am going to use buttercream icing. I want to get the buttercream super duper smooth. I use the method with the Hi Density Foam roller which works very well but my buttercream isn't really "even".

My question is can I use the Wilton Baker's Blade or Cake lifter as a bench scraper? I have several michael's coupon I need to use by saturday and figured I could get two tools in one.

TIA!

8 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 9

The baker's blade should work great, it's basically a bench scraper. I have the cake lifter also and can't see why it wouldn't work aside from it's large size maybe being alittle harder to manage...

sweetbaker1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker1019 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 9

i use the wilton dough cutter its like a tougher rubber and it works great! and i have also used the bakers blade it it works also!!! hope you find something! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 9

I got a 6" drywall palette knife at Lowe's or Walmart....awesome tool!

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 9

I just bought a bench scraper sunday at a kitchen store where they also had the wilton bakers blade and the two are almost identical. They are both six inches wide and same thickness also. I only bought the scraper because it was a little cheaper and I liked the handle better, but if you have coupon definately get the wilton blade.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 9

I love my Wilton Baker's Blades. I bought two of them right away. The weight is nice and heavy, the blade is sharp, and the handle is easy to hold. The only drawback is that they have the plastic on the ends.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 9

Yep, you need to find something without plastic ends, or handles which don't allow the blade to sit perfectly square to your cake. I used drywall knives,palette knives, putty whatsamajiggies for awhile, and started wondering why it wasn't working quite so right....got a bench scraper, a REAL bench scraper, with no handle, and I've been golden ever since.

It's like $4 at Bed Bath and Beyond...called Progressive Bash and Chop. icon_wink.gif

cmorie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmorie86 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for the replies! Greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 9

I just got a bench scrapper/chopper from Target today for $2.and change...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%