Oh, How I Hate Ants!

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 6:45pm by costumeczar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 16

I hate them so much icon_evil.gif They always choose to show up on days when hunting ants is NOT in the schedule! I went into my office this morning and saw a bunch of them walking around near my window, so now I have to take the time to get rid of them when I'm super busy with other stuff as well. icon_mad.gif I've already put out a little Terro buffet for them, so they're feasting away.

15 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 16

I hate them as well!! I will never forget when they found my Christmas cookies box icon_evil.gif
But I do hate FLIES even more!!!!! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif I realized that we have more flies this year than ever before, they are pain in the but tapedshut.gif

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 16

They finally won the war in my house! DH would hear of my "murder sprees" and say that I would prosecuted for genocide! So I gave up and had an exterminator come- they gave a six month warranty. It took about a week after they came- but since then I only see 1 or 2.
Money well spent!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 16

I feel with you! In the spring I couldn't get rid of ants in my kitchen. Mind you - they were nowhere near the pantry. They run on top of my gas oven. I sprayed the whole kitchen (and washed it off), hid all the food-stuff, even when there wasn't single ant in it, but the ants were still there. I tried baking powder, mix of baking powder and sugar as trap - not a single beast did eat from it.
When reconstructing the kitchen, I found the ant hill - in the fridge compressor! Even the vacuuming the compressor about every two months - meaning it was at least once in this time - didn't help. Now, in the new kitchen at least I know where to look if they come again icon_evil.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 16

I swear by Terro ant bait. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's. Just open a container, set it where the ants can find it, and in 24 hours you'll have no more ants. No hunting or worrying, it kills the entire colony.

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 16

I use Terro too and it works like magic. They once got into my car, when I loaned it to my sister (whose 2 little girls left candies inside!) and I had a real ant infestation. I put a Terro trap under the seat and the next day: no more ants!! Only a little pile of what looked like dust under the car, which turned out to be ant bodies.

Now, I'm not sure it works on red ants or fire ants, but any sweet-seeking ant will be attracted to the Terro.

It's inexpensive too!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 16

My dad used to use Terro when he was in the restaurant biz. He says it's the only one that really works.

Personally, I have such a big ant problem where I live that the only solution is to have the exterminator come out twice a month. Lately I've been finding big winged ants and wormy-looking things with them, in the dishwasher. The good thing is, the pest control service is included in my rent.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

I hate them as well!! I will never forget when they found my Christmas cookies box icon_evil.gif
But I do hate FLIES even more!!!!! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif I realized that we have more flies this year than ever before, they are pain in the but tapedshut.gif

Do you have a fire place? When my parent had flies it turns out that a bird fell into the chimney and died. We didn't smell anything, but the flies came a'coming.

costumeczar Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 16

They're still eating the Terro, about 3 hours after I put it out. I'm keeping an eye on them, and they're staying in one area near the bait, so I just have to sit and cackle while they eat their meal! icon_twisted.gif I've also figured out where they're coming in, so once they disappear I'll seal up the teeny tiny hole they found! Luckily, they're nowhere near my kitchen or any food, or I'd be spending my morning freaking out and vacuuming up ant bodies.

They got into my car recently, too, and the Terro worked to get rid of them in about 5 hours. It's awesome stuff!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 16

I get those little teeny tiny grease ants coming in once per year. This year I put out some ant bait traps and Amdro, which took care of them in a few days. They were after my food colors.

Duct tape worked great for instant gratification!!!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 16

I spray my yard..or rather my DH does..with Hi-Yield Insect Spray. He does front and back twice a year. Kills, ants, spiders, termites, fleas, ticks, and all sorts of nasty buggies. I love it!

http://www.hi-yield.com/ProductDetails.aspx?prod=32029

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 16

I heard if you sprinkle cayenne pepper along the route of the ants, they stay away, haven't tried it lately, but heard in some cases it works indoors and outdoors (as long as it doesn't rain and wash it away),LOL...just an idea.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 16

Ron, my Terminex man will be here in about an hour.

He does quarterly sprays for me because I can't stand insects.

I love him and need to get started on cupcakes for him too so they are fresh and warm. icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 16

Costmeczarina I didn't know you could be so evil! icon_lol.gif Had a few ants, but nothing major thank goodness! They seem to just appear then disappear.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 16

Costmeczarina I didn't know you could be so evil! icon_lol.gif Had a few ants, but nothing major thank goodness! They seem to just appear then disappear.

costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 16

I am happy to report that after feasting on the Terro buffet, the ants have apparently drawn their last breath and departed this mortal coil. Ahhahahahahahahahahahaha! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%