Help..........problem With Icing Cracking When Transporting!

Decorating By nesha Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 11:10pm by tomsmom245

nesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesha Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:53am
post #1 of 12

HI CC,
I'm having a HUGE PROBLEM with my cakes when trasnsporting. Once I get my cakes iced an decorated then comes the time to pick it up an transport an EVERYTIME.........IT CRACKS-BIG TIME, ALL OVER !!!!!!!!!! I add corn syrup to my buttercream to keep it smooth but it doesn't seem to work, I use my boards which are the Wilton cake boards an its horrible-this only happens with the bigger size cakes ESPECIALLY the sheet cakes. I would appreciate any advice, thanks...........

11 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 12

I had the elephant skin problem too. I read somewhere to put a tiny bit of vinegar in the buttercream. So I did, it didn't crack and you don't taste the vinegar.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 12

Try using foam boards. They are sturdier than the Wilton boards. The bigger the cake, the heavier the foam board I use. I used to having cracking issue too, but this has eliminated the problem for me.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 12

It's cracking because the cake is shifting/bending with the board. You need to use a STRONG board. Your buttercream is not the problem.

The Wilton boards are not sturdy enough. If you stack 3 or 4 of them together, then tape them, that should be enough, or use thick foamcore. You need a base that it completely inflexible.

nesha Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #5 of 12

Thanks guys, but where could I find foam like that, an how would I use that with the cake board????

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:25am
post #6 of 12

The boards are called foam core and you can find them in the craft isle at wal mart where the poster board is located.The one I usually buy is made by Elmer's,like the glue.You just cut it to size like you would the cardboard ones.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:20am
post #7 of 12

Definitely the cake board. You need something that can withstand the weight. If you do use the cake board you will need to double/triple them up. I like using foamcore boards or masonite boards. You can also use plywood etc for your boards. Anything sturdy enough that will not bend under the weight of the cake.

You can purchase foamcore boards at any craftstore. Even the dollar stores carry them.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 12

So far our dollar stores near us don't carry a very good one,you may as well take your chances on the wilton cardboard because they are just as flimsy but man I wish the dg did have a good one!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 12

You can purchase the foam core boards at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Use a utility knife, an exacto knife or a hot-knife to cut it. They are great and you can also double stack them for added strength.

For heavier cakes my husband cuts plywood or MDF for me. You can cover any of these with fondant, fabric, wrapping paper or contact paper.

nesha Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 12

HMMMMM........Interesting, thanks CC!!!!!!!!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 12

Just adding my vote to "it's the board" comments. I use at least 3 boards for my 12x18 sheets (4 if it's double layer). Wrap in foil and it holds up great.

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:10pm
post #12 of 12

I use elmers glue to glue 3 foam core boards together for a big sheet. I buy my foam core at dollar tree or deals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%