Ack! Power Went Out, I Have A Wedding Cake In The Oven!!!!

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 12:16pm by luddroth

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 21

How can I save it? Is it ruined? I didnt open the oven yet. I have a 14 and two 6 inch in there, only been in for about 10 minutes when the power went out. I dont know when its going to come back on. Im going to call the power company right now. Can I save this or is it done for???

20 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 21

An option to consider:
Do you have a friend/relative nearby? Give them a call, tell them to put their oven on, put the cakes in an insulated box (coolbox) and get yourself over there asap.

I don't know if this would even work!? icon_confused.gif

Good luck. Hope you don't have to start all over again!

JCE62108 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 21

LOL all my neighbor's power is out too! haha. Not a good situation Im in, I guess. Going on an hour now without power......Im not happy about this. icon_sad.gif

stupid FL. This happens with every storm.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 21

i dont know if i would risk holding off on the baking. to be safe i would start over once your power is back on.
good luck, hopefully it wont be too long.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 21

i say when the power goes on...continue to cook...but be ready to cook another set after those ones come out....this way you can see if there is a difference...if it taste funny or smells funny!!! might as well expirement....good luck sorry this is happening!!!!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 21

Do you have a propane grill you could try?

JCE62108 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 21

What would happen to it? I mean, is it a spoilage thing? Or will it just not bake right? Weird texture or something like that? Argh. I might bake it just to see what happens. Its still in the oven. I mean, it was only like 10 minutes that it was in there. If its still mostly liquidy, does it have a better chance? I guess probably a lot of you havent been through this. lol. Its getting hot in this house now. This always happens in FL. Probably the only thing I dont like about this state.

Thanks for your responses, guys. Does anyone out there know what happens to a cake if it stops baking halfway through and then you try to finish it off after its cooled a bit?

JCE62108 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 21

A grill? Its pouring outside! lol. I dont think my cakes will fit in it anyway. Thats a funny thought though....grilled wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

I already baked some layers so I can compare it. Thats a good suggestion.

3GCakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 21

I'd still like to know what happened! This was bad for you, but maybe a good experience for the rest of us! DId you bake the cake again?

JCE62108 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 21

Yes, I did bake it. It seems like it turned out ok. It looked like it cooked normally from the outside. I cut the top off of one to get a look at the cake inside and it seemed normal. Ate the crust, tasted normal. So I think its ok. Im going to use it.
It didnt taste like it spoiled or anything weird like that.

Sorry I didnt respond sooner. I was up until 12am finishing baking my layers. I started at 11am and it took me that long to finish. icon_sad.gif I need two ovens or something. lol.

3GCakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 21

I'm glad it worked!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 21

I'm glad it turned ok as well. The title of your post just spelled disaster to me!

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 21

I've had this happen too - altho my cake was almost done. Think you did the right thing - the oven will retain heat for awhile and so, unless the power is out for hours - you will continue to get some baking, then just fire the oven up again as soon as the power comes back. Timing may be off but otherwise, it was worth a try.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 21

I'm so glad it all worked out for you.
And now we all know it's not the end of the world if it happens to us !!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 21

LOL Im glad I was a good learning experience for everyone! hehe

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 21

Similar story -- different ending. I baked 2 10-inch layers of yellow cake, took them out of the pans, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated them. They looked beautiful and smelled great. The next day, the day the cake is due, I started early in the morning to level and torte and fill these and the two chocolate layers I had made the day before the yellow cake. As I started to torte the yellow cake, I discovered that they were nothing but mush inside. Baked fine on the outside, but like pudding on the inside. I couldn't believe it. Long story short, the thermostat on my gas oven had died and the oven didn't stay at temperature. When I tested with a toothpick, it came out clean, but maybe only because the firmly crusted top wiped it clean as it came out. Total disaster. I ran to the local bakery and bought an unfrosted sheet cake and cut it for my yellow layers. Not the same, but the cake went out and they were happy.

JCE62108 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #17 of 21

Uuuuggghhhh that sucks. Did you have to buy a whole new oven or is that fixable?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #18 of 21

Thermostats are fixable. My sister's thermostat went out and we didn't have Thanksgiving turkey because of it, but she had a shiny new oven so they just put another thermostat in.

luddroth Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:23am
post #19 of 21

It's a GE oven and their service guy was able to fix it after ordering a new part -- took about a week, but it's worked fine since then. Just bad timing on my poor cake.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:48am
post #20 of 21

I love cooking with electic stoves and that's what I wanted in my new home. When we moved in this house I had a gas stove that went with us along with the fridge. So, I put a second kitchen in my basement. That gas stove has saved me so many times. Our power goes out here often. I know not everyone has this option, I was just sharing.

luddroth Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:16pm
post #21 of 21

Did I say gas oven? I did. It's an electric oven, which is why I had GE service -- General ELECTRIC, duh. It's a GE Monogram, gas stove, electric oven. I love it, but it's now about 6 years old and I had that thermostat problem already. I hope I don't start having a lot of problems with it. It would be wonderful to have a back-up kitchen, Janette. I can think of lots of situations beyond a power outage when that would be a god-send.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%