Questions From Another Newbie!

Decorating By ShelleyMJ Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm by Texas_Rose

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 2

I have been asked to bake and decorate 2 cakes for Saturday. My grandson's birthday in the morning and another cake celebrating a young mans' promotion in the Air Force for later in the day.

I am so nervous. I baked the cakes and put them in the freezer on Saturday. Do I need to defrost completely before I frost them? After decorating can I put back in the freezer or refigerate? Do I get to stay up all nite Friday decorating cakes? LOL

I will be using buttercreme icing and fondant accents.

This newbie is starting her first Wilton Class on Thursday of this week. I am so looking forward to it.

Thank you all for your help! icon_smile.gif

Oh dear.... I think you all have already answered one of my questions....... Really only freeze for no more than 3 days? I looks like I get to do all my baking again.

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 2

You can freeze longer than 3 days as long as it's wrapped well. I usually wrap in plastic wrap (lots of it) and then a layer of foil to keep the freezer taste out.

I like to let it thaw out before decorating, except for petit fours.

Buttercream does fine in the fridge. For fondant, some people put it in the fridge and some people don't. I never used to put anything with fondant in the fridge, but for my last two cakes I've gone ahead and done it and it has worked fine...no colors running or excessive cake sweating when it comes out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%