Help! How Do I Make A Sphinx Cake?

Decorating By bakesuzy Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 7:29am by bakesuzy

bakesuzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakesuzy Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:16am
post #1 of 3

Hi

i have been asked to make a sphinx cake, can anyone please help me with a how to? How do i make the head? rice krispie treats?
How do i make the body? do i just carve it?

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thank you!

2 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 3

How big should be your cake? There are several ways how to go about it. Me personally, I would make the head from gumpaste (it is quite small in relation to the body). RKT will work too.

Please, remember, the sphinx is very long and narrow. To keep the proportions and to make it (including front paws) from cake, meaning the height of front paws being about 1 1/2 inch, means having a cake approx. 24 inch long and 6 inch wide, about 4 inch high (without head) or 6 inch high (with head). This would still give you same or less servings than 6" square cake, because of the cut off cake.

You can either distort the shape - shorten the length of the cake in relation to other dimensions or make the paws and head from gumpaste / fondant / modelling paste and only the body from cake itself.
Best would be to make two tier cake - rectangular "pedestal" and the sphinx on top of it.

As for the body: Simplest is to cut it. For dimensions and idea how to construct it - I would look at http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3153/03353/index.html - there is quite simple paper model I would choose as guide.
In cake this means: bake a sheet cake or similar, cut the body (several layers, cut the front paws (probably from left over cake) and stack it. Make detail carving, crumbcoat and cover with fondant, stick the gumpaste head on top.

Or there is good cake in gallery - as inspiration http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1174360 - sphinx and pyramid.

bakesuzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakesuzy Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:29am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much!!! I will try and keep everything in mind when i start with the cake! I appreciate your reply!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%