What Is The Best Dye For Icing?

Decorating By KailaS Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 1:19am by KailaS

KailaS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KailaS Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 11

I REALLY hate Wilton dye because I can never make my icing dark enough, without messing up the consistency when I use it. Does anyone have any brand recommendations???

10 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 11

I like using americolour icing gels. They're better than Wilton I think especially for the darker colours. It also helps if you wait a day or so because a lot of the time the icing will darken over time.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 11

Try Americolor!!! I have used Wilton, Chef Master, Spectrum... Americolor is my absolute FAVORITE! (I'm actually working on an order for some now!) thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLover3

Try Americolor!!! I have used Wilton, Chef Master, Spectrum... Americolor is my absolute FAVORITE! (I'm actually working on an order for some now!) thumbs_up.gif

If you order directly from them right now, there not only on sale but there is a 20% discount if you use the code "cupcake".

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

If you order directly from them right now, there not only on sale but there is a 20% discount if you use the code "cupcake".

Order them from whom, dearie?

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KailaS Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #6 of 11
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info! Any recommendations on must-have colors? I went into shock when I saw how many they had on their website!

xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Quote:

Quote:

Order them from whom, dearie?

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sorry Theresa, my bad! icon_lol.gif

Here you go:

http://www.americolor.org/

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:43am
post #8 of 11

Thank you!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 11

Yes, thank you very much, xstitcher!!!

KailaS, as for colors, I think it really depends on what you do most. Much of what I do is gumpaste flowers, so I (personally) like to keep shades of green, pinks, and lavenders (because I use them most) ~ along with black and brown. But I have picked up other colors as well (like red and yellow), because I needed them for a specific project. If you can think of what you might do, you may find that you need a different variety of colors.

Have fun!!! icon_razz.gif

xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KailaS

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info! Any recommendations on must-have colors? I went into shock when I saw how many they had on their website!

Why not get a set? When I first bought them I ordered a the set that had 12 in them just to see what the hype was all about.

Here is the page for their soft gel sets:
http://www.americolor.org/AmeriColor_Soft_Gel_Paste_Food_Colors_Handy_Kits_and_Sets_s/39.htm

I also wanted to add that they are offering a 2 Pk Food Writer Set Free if you buy $35 or more worth of products.

KailaS Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #11 of 11

I think I'm going to get the 41 color set. If you use the cupcake code it is only $38! Grant it, they are only .75 oz, but i'll be able to pick and choose which ones I like and will use the most!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%