Can You Tell Me What These Are?

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm by cylstrial

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 4

I just purchased a large lot of Vintage Cake Decorating items from Craigslist. Of all the stuff, I can't figure out what these are?!?! They have the Wilton Brand name on them, but what are they used for??? I have a bag full of around 30 different kinds...Please help!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 4

They are Austrailian lace nails. You make royal icing lattice pieces on them.

Sounds like you got yourself a boat loaf of great things icon_smile.gif How come I don't find things like that on Craigslist? icon_sad.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 4

They're vintage "nails" onto which "lace" or cages are piped in royal icing.

A bit of crisco is rubbed on the form, the RI piped in lines over it & allowed to dry. The nail is warmed gently under a lightbulb, or some other minor heat source, and then carefully removed.

I have several of them--but I've never tried to use them. Just no call for that type of work these days.


cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 4

That's pretty cool though! I've never seen them before...but I love picking up new information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%