Preliminary Cake Making Schedule...advice Much Appreciated..

Decorating By Megabot Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 8:56pm by BakeLoveMom

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 2

Ok so I wanted to have enough time to make a 4 tiered cake for my friends wedding without being over the top stressed because this is my first tiered cake (I've been working with fondant for a couple of months and tried a few two tier cakes so far). The wedding is about 30 minutes away and I will probably take it there the day before as we are probably staying at the hotel the night before. I will have tue-fri to make and decorate the cake. Sat. is the wedding day.

Tue-bake and trim cakes, freeze overnight
Wed- frosting coat, assemble individual layers, refridgerate
Thur-cover with fondant, decorate (is this too early to cover with fondant? can I have a jelly filling (i.e. strawberry, raspberry) when I cant put the fondant in the fridge?)
Fri- touch ups, transfer to site, touch ups if needed
Sat- nothing...with the cake at least expect to serve and eat

Please let me know any holes in my plan or improvements. I have only been practicing for a few months and I want the cake to look and taste great for my friend

1 reply
BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 2

I don't know about your fridge, but some fridges, like non-professional grade, aren't good to put a fondant cake in. Your timeline looks good, but over the years I find it is better to leave the cakes at room temp. always, especially for a fondant cake. The only time I use the fridge is if the filling requires it. I just bake and wrap in press and seal. Then when you fill, layer, and crumb coat, leave at least 12 hours after that for settling, otherwise you can get air bubbles under you frosting. Jelly fillings should be fine at room temp. Just a few things I had to learn the hard way.

HTH

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%