What Should I Charge?

Decorating By conb Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm by conb

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 11

I made the doll cake on the 1/2 sheet cakelast week for a co-workers daughter, it was gift. However I had people at the party ask what I would charge to recreate this cake. I started guessing in my head about prices, but I don't really know what would be a fair price to myself or the buyer. Please help any advice/suggestions are welcome.
LL
LL

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 11

I woud have charged at least $120.00 or more for this cake.I charge $3.00 per serving for the flat cake.The doll cake I price as a 3D cake so I would add on from there.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 11

Your cake turned out super cute! I think $3.00 a slice sounds good as well.

conb Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks! I never thought to sell a cake per slice. Do you sell pound cakes with just a glaze the same way?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 11

How did you do the stones on the walk way? Very cool cake

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 11

That's a really pretty cake and a LOT of work. I would do the sheet at $3 a person and add another 50 cents a person for the doll.

Good job!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 11

Beautiful work, I am sorry I do not know anything about price. I am new to this, I just wanted to say that it is a pretty cake. I would love to know how you did it...

conb Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone. K8memphis the stone was hand painted on with bronze luster dust mixed with clear vanilla. All of the flowers were royal icing. The doll was the most time consuming because I used the star tip. I don't do decoraed cakes often, but I was proud of this one. It helped to boost my confidence in decorating. I am now ready to try some other things.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by conb

Thanks! I never thought to sell a cake per slice. Do you sell pound cakes with just a glaze the same way?

I think most people actually sell a loaf cake (if that's what you're talking about) as a whole entity and not per slice.

But ALMOST everyone sells specialty cakes by the slice. Hope this helps.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by conb

Thanks everyone. K8memphis the stone was hand painted on with bronze luster dust mixed with clear vanilla. All of the flowers were royal icing. The doll was the most time consuming because I used the star tip. I don't do decoraed cakes often, but I was proud of this one. It helped to boost my confidence in decorating. I am now ready to try some other things.

But those are tiles of fondant or something? Then painted?

You should make a castle cake with that method--it's awesome!

conb Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 11

No it is all buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%