Ever Had This Happen To Your Fondant????????????

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm by tannersmom

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 7

I made a batch of MFF for a cake this weekend. The texture was perfect, it rolled out very smooth and went on the cake with no problem. The problem was I didn't roll it out enough so it would cover the cake. So I took it off, wiped the buttercrem off and continued to roll it out again. EXCEPT it turned into TOLL HOUSE COOKIE DOUGH! That's exactly what it looked and felt like. I was sure all the icing was off. You couldn't roll it out, it was like, crumbly and thick. Well I added shortening to it hoping it would smooth it out but to no avail. What Happened???? If you have had this problem or any idea what might have happened, please share with me. SORRY SO LONG!!!

Stephanie

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe it started drying out once you had it on the cake the first time?

I wonder if nuking it for a few seconds would have helped.

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 7

The microwave trick sometimes works for me. Sometimes I do that and also add crisco. If that fails I add gumpaste. I don't have a fail proof method, but each of these have gotten me out of a "mess" before. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 7

Adding shortening plus letting it rest for a time period like maybe overnight.

It is annoying when the fondant acts up.

tannersmom Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the replies. I did add crisco but it had the same texture. I'll try the microwave trick. I'll keep ya posted. I hate to throw it all away.

Stephanie

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 7

This exact thing happened to me the last time i made MM fondant. I had to run out and buy the premade fondant and it was love at 2nd roll!

i didn't like it the first time but would never go back!! Its great!

tannersmom Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 7

What type of fondant do you use? Premade(store bought) or homemade (what recipe)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%