Need More Pans. Go With Wilton Or Professional

Decorating By loves2bake4six Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 1:01am by 1234me

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 16

I am a newbie on this board and just starting out baking cakes commercially for a small local tea shop and commissions.

I need some more round and square pans and was wondering whether to stick with Wilton brand or switch to professional brands like Magic Line or Fat Daddios.

Do you have a preference for another brand?

I'd love to get more information.

15 replies
karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:44am
post #2 of 16

Hi. I would invest in professional pans if you think you will be baking more. I have the magic lines. I like square one's so much better because the edges are so sharp. The Fats Daddios ones are more rounded at the edges.

Kara

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:52am
post #3 of 16

Magic Line is the best. If you buy ML you'll never regret it, but if you buy Wilton you'll wish you had purchased ML.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:40am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake4six

I am a newbie on this board and just starting out baking cakes commercially for a small local tea shop and commissions.

Wilton pans are not commercial pans, but they're fine for hobby bakers like me. They are widely available and can be had quite reasonably using either Michaels or Hobby Lobby 40% off coupons. So it's possible to have two sets of all the traditional and new wedding cake pan sets without breaking the budget.
(And no company has as large an online presence as Wilton, with info on how to use all their products!)

But if you're baking commercially, the commercial pans are made to hold up to constant usage. (These pans have the features required by professional bakers like heavier weight and sharper corners than Wilton's....) Of course, you'll be paying commercial pan prices, but it'll be an investment in your business.

I would stick with 2" deep pans and buy the basic shapes first since you'll probably use them the most.

HTH

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:07am
post #5 of 16

Janh has given you some excellent advice but if you can I'd go with ML especially for square and sheet pans, your cakes will bake with nice crisp corners in these pans.

Here's a link that was done where a poll was taken for all 3 pans plus pics showing the difference of the end product:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=595624&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=magic&&start=15

You can shop around and get some decent prices on-line. Amazon often has buy 3 get one 4 offers for magic line pans (parrish is the manufacturer) and sometimes they have 50-70% off some of them. I bought most of mine from cooksdream (they were the most reasonably priced that shipped to Canada (I was there at the time)) but have since bought more from Amazon.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:38am
post #6 of 16

Magic Line. No question. They are worth the price, and it's cheaper in the long run to get the more expensive pans first, than to get the cheaper pans, and have to get the expensive pans also not long down the line. ( icon_confused.gif Does that make sense? It did in my head... icon_rolleyes.gif )
In any case, you can CLEARLY see the difference between the ML pans and all the others (several brands... don't know the names of any. ML are stamped into the pan) at the bakery I work at. We're talking daily use and serious abuse. The ML ones look great. The others look.... bent, dented, and are practically unusable.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:49am
post #7 of 16

Relatively speaking, Magic Line are not expensive. I think last time I bought them, in July, the eight-inch pan was like 6-7 dollars. Yes, they do cost more than that Wilton crap, but I would never consider them expensive.

Like many other things, you get what you pay for.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:39am
post #8 of 16

Absolutely Magic Line. They're the "gold standard" in this biz. I own ONE FD pan and that will be the only one I buy. I started out with Wilton before I knew any better. They really are inferior products if you're baking much at all. So, in summary, Wilton, no more; FD, never again; Magic Line, always.

You will NEVER regret buying good tools.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:56am
post #9 of 16

Magic Line

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:29am
post #10 of 16

magic line.

loves2bake4six Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you all.

Yes, magic line is more costly but if I buy the pans as I need them, then definitely not expensive.

Off to look at Amazon and the other sites mentioned.

loves2bake4six Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 16

FYI

Amazon has Magic Line at 4 for 3 right now and free shipping (we're prime members) so definitely the best deal around by far.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 16

Most of mine are Magic Line, I do have a few of the FatDaddios, which I don't mind - since they are the round ones (do not buy the F/D squares - no sharp corners on them)

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 16

I'm mainly a hobby baker--we'll see how it goes--but I LOVE my magic line pans!! They are the best!!! Come out perfect everytime!!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #15 of 16

I bought square pans from LLoyd's http://www.lloydpans.com/C-1000053/Bakeware . They are equal quality to ML but less expensive. They come in a non-stick, I got the plain aluminum and love them. The outsides of white cakes bake to a nice golden color.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #16 of 16

www.cakepans4less.com is AWESOME! I have bought most of my pans there and love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%