Puddle Under Fondant Dog

Decorating By sewgratefulquilts Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm by -K8memphis

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #1 of 7

No, not that kind of puddle!

This week I made my first cake with a fondant/gumpaste dog, dog dish, cat, etc placed on buttercream. A few hours later I noticed an area around the base of each one that looked like a little, narrow puddle. What would cause that to happen? Do you put something under your fondant figures before placing them on buttercream? Or do you not put them on buttercream?

Thanks for your help.

6 replies
onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 7

IDK but I saw something like that on Ace of Cakes with the pinto car...

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 7

What kind of fondant did you use? Did you let the figures dry well before putting them on the cake? Was there alot of humidity?

sewgratefulquilts Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 7

I used 50/50 of Wilton fondant and gumpaste. It had dried for a week. Yes, very humid as I live in the hot and humid south of US although I keep the house at a comfortable temp.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 7

The only reason I can think of for your figures to melt like that would be the humidity. If you had your cake in the refrigerator and placed the figures on it while the cake was still cold, possibly condensation could have caused your problem. Sorry I can't be more help. Luckily I haven't had that happen to me.

sewgratefulquilts Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 7

Now that you mention it, even though I wasn't aware of it at the time, the center of the cake could have been still cold. I'll have to watch that next time. Thanks for the help.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 7

At least he went on the paper huh???

Good Doggie!

icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%