I Need Help!!

Baking By sugarlicious Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm by leily

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 21

I am in need of a good sugar cookie recipe that doesn't expand and is still soft. I have to make 220 heart-shaped cookies for my sons wedding in 2 weeks. My dilemna is that the heart-shape cookie cutter that I have just fits in the box of the 250 she bought for the wedding favors, reason why I need a recipe that doesn't expand. My idea was to make heart shape cookie then while still warm to put heart-shape white fondant on top and then we were going to stamp with black food coloring a heart with a circle going around it saying thank you and underneath putting the wedding date 09.12.09 what do you all think of that idea, the cookie will be put in a box with a little rafia in the bottom, fall wedding theme, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated to, thanks!! Have to get started on these cookies as soon as possible, I also have to make a cake for the gift opening day after the wedding!

20 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 21

As soon as the cookie tray comes out of the oven, take your cookie cutter and re-cut the cookies. This makes the cookies look clean and perfect!!

Here's some cookies, covered in fondant, that I couldn't re-cut because of the stick: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363341

Here's some cookies that I did re-cut and the pre-cut shirt shapes went "wall to wall": http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1377393 I made these for my granddaughter's last soccer game of the season. They got rained out and my daughter had to hold them for a few days until the game got rescheduled. They were still great tasting.

The only bad thing is you have to work fast and re-cut them while they are still warm, so be sure to stagger your cookie sheets so they are scheduled to come out of the oven at least 5-6 minutes apart.

I use the NFSC recipe and the cookies stay nice and soft.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 21

First advice is to try a practice batch or two! Then you can work out any issues and feel more confident. Have to tweak those ideas sometimes!

The NFSC recipe should work:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html

I roll mine 1/4" thick, they stay soft. I really watch them while baking because I don't want them too brown. Each cutter shape may end up with a slightly different baking time.

Always chill your cut out cookies well on the sheet before baking -- that really helps them to hold their shape.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 21

Cutting after baking? I saw this somewhere... and they were perfect and when I asked that was her answer. I had no idea that could be done. I stood there gawking awkwardly for a molment and I should have asked her if it was a normal SC recipe or something special.

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 21

Thank you so much ladies for answering my plea so fast! Indydebi, those cookies look awesome and just what I needed to know, I also didn't know you could cut the cookies again with cutter while still hot, yours has nice clean edges! You are always so helpful and I know I and all Newbies are so appreciative of your experienced advice!!!!! Thank you and also cindy58 and sadsmile, all the members who take time to help us all when we need help. I love Cakecentral!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 21

Hi

I am fairly new hear and this is the first time hearing about fondant on warm cookies. will you explane more please sounds very intresting and maybe less time consuming than royal icing also can anyone help me understand what glace is and how do you make it and use it. any help would be muchly appreciated.

have a great day

indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbugcreations

Hi

I am fairly new hear and this is the first time hearing about fondant on warm cookies. will you explane more please sounds very intresting and maybe less time consuming than royal icing also can anyone help me understand what glace is and how do you make it and use it. any help would be muchly appreciated.

have a great day

Oh my gosh it is SO much faster and easier!!! Using the same cookie cutter, cut the fondant coverings BEFORE putting the cookies in the oven (reason being is that you need to apply the fondant as soon as the cookies come out of the oven so they need to be ready to go). I lay them on the counter and cover with saran.

When cookies come out of the oven, if they are non-stick'd cookies (like the t-shirt cookies linked above), I recut them with the cookie cutter so they are "pretty". Work fast. Then apply the cut out fondant pieces to the warm cookies. The heat from the cookie will melt the fondant into place. No gel, no icing, no "glue" of any kind needed to hold the fondant in place.

I made the 3 mother's day bouquets of 6 cookies (link above) .... mixed, baked, fondant covered and set aside for pick up .... in under an hour. If I had used RI for those cookies, it would have taken me MUCH longer.

And remember .... time is money, so the less time we spend on a project, the more profit we make!

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 21

Thank you I think I am going to make some in a little while just took out my butter HaHa. Can't wait to try this.
It is like Christmas I know how long it takew when I do royal Icing can't wait to see the endless possibilities.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 21

wow indydebi
I love this. I'm not a newbie anymore and I have never heard about the re-cutting. Can't wait to try it.

kjjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjjs Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 21

I need a reason to make cookies now!!!! I must try this ASAP!!!! This is the most brilliant idea I have heard on CC since the bench scraper icing thing!!!! YAY!!! thumbs_up.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 21

kjjs - icon_confused.gif What bench scraper icing thing??

Indydebi - You are simply brilliant! icon_biggrin.gif

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks for this idea indydebi. Can you use Marshmellow Fondant too? icon_biggrin.gif

kjjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjjs Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

kjjs - icon_confused.gif What bench scraper icing thing??

Indydebi - You are simply brilliant! icon_biggrin.gif

Tray- The bench scraper icing thing is when you use a bench scraper or wide putty knife to smooth your buttercream. This is not the best description, but I know there is a tutorial or another thread where I learned this on CC. Maybe someone else can post a link?(I am quite tech stupid!! I don't know how to do the link thing!)

Oh, and I also agree that Indydebi is brilliant!

indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:47am
post #14 of 21

well, here's little tidbit you all might find interesting!

I made about 90-100 cookies today .... just plain squares that I covered with fondant and then added black BC icing dots to make them into dice. Well, the cookie cutter was 100% metal...... no rubber coating on top to hold on to.

Well, guess what! Metal is a conductor of heat! dunce.gif As I was re-cutting the cookies that came out of the oven, the metal cutter was getting hotter and hotter in my hand. It never got hot enough to burn ... but hot enough where I'm cursing myself a bit!

So be forewarned .... and be careful with all-metal cutters! icon_wink.gif

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:22am
post #15 of 21

You can also "stack" designs in fondant,ahead of time...stick fondant-to fondant with a bit of water,cover them all ...If I want to keep them overnight,I put them on greased waxed paper,and wrap really well with plastic wrap as Debbie mentioned(make sure not to get wrinkles from the wrap on your shapes)
If I have a lot to do,instead of rushing,I put the fondant on partly cooled cookies,and pop them back into the oven for a minute...it will stick beautifully (initially bake a minute less in this case)
I find if I wait a bit I get less "bubbles" appearing in the fondant as the cookie cools..
You can also stick fondant on with diluted piping gel...or stick edible images onto cooled fondant covered cookies with the diluted gel...the possibilities are endless...

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks, Kjjs! I have not yet ventured into cakes, but my daughter is. I had read the idea of using the metal spackle/putty knife and we will give it a try! Thanks for explaining it!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

well, here's little tidbit you all might find interesting!

I made about 90-100 cookies today .... just plain squares that I covered with fondant and then added black BC icing dots to make them into dice. Well, the cookie cutter was 100% metal...... no rubber coating on top to hold on to.

Well, guess what! Metal is a conductor of heat! dunce.gif As I was re-cutting the cookies that came out of the oven, the metal cutter was getting hotter and hotter in my hand. It never got hot enough to burn ... but hot enough where I'm cursing myself a bit!

So be forewarned .... and be careful with all-metal cutters! icon_wink.gif

Great advice indydebi! Never thought of that!

I do have to add my endorsement for this technique too, though. Makes them look so much better, too!

Does anyone know what to do about cookies on sticks! I haven't done this as the stick is in the way, but is there any way to cut them as soon as they come out of the oven as well? icon_confused.gif

indydebi Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #18 of 21

I've discovered the links on page 1 are not working so here they are again.....

uncut from the oven: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363341

re-cut from the oven: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1377393

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #19 of 21

Indydebi...as always you have such an awesome wealth of knowledge. I can't tell you how much we all appreciate all your help. LOVE YA..and Happy New Years to you and all cc. Thanks

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #20 of 21

I used the tip to re-cut the cookies, too, as bigger cookies weren't going to fit in the favor bags for my niece's wedding. My only complaint was that by doing this, there were a lot more cookie crumbs to deal with. I'd still highly recommend re-cutting, just be aware of the crumbs problem. I used a copper cutter (the "Just Married" car cutter from ecrandal.com), and while I noticed the cutter getting warmer with each cut, it wasn't too bad. I'm thinking a tin cutter might have been more of a problem. The nice, thick copper ones take longer to heat up!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #21 of 21

For the couple of people that mentioned sticks. I insert my sticks after the cookie is baked (this also allows me to bake a full tray of cookies at a time instead of half b/c of the room the stick takes up) I have had better luck with this. As the cookie cools it "shrinks" around the stick and helps hold it. I have never had problems with the cookie coming off of the stick this way.

Just another idea. This way you can cut the cookie, insert the stick, and then lay the fondant on while the cookie is still warm. Still getting that clean look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%