What Would You Charge For This?

Business By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm by -Tubbs

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:11am
post #1 of 28

Back in June, had a request for pricing for my daughter's dance school year end show. It's a big show (at the largest venue in my city), and they asked for enough cake to feed 500 people. Very basic, but with their 10th anniversary logo somehow incorporated into it.

Using my 16X16 cake pan, I figured that I would need 4 cakes (sheet-style, not torted), BC and logo scanned for each (plus cake boards and delivery). I priced it out at $400 - which I thought was very generous. They said 'no', but I know it was because the owner's husband (who is in charge of the money side) thought it was too much. (Men!) I simply said that was the very lowest I could go and not lose money - they wouldn't get a better price at the grocery store or XX's bakery.

So, any idea if I was on track with my pricing? This was before I got the Cake Boss program, so I did it on paper. If they ask again, I want to make sure I've given the best price I can.

Thanks.

27 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:16am
post #2 of 28

I don't think you can give a better price than $0.80/serving. Can they even buy twinkies for that price?

edited to add:

Btw, just curious is this event being held at Copps Coliseum?

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:28am
post #3 of 28

No, Hamilton Place. Nice guess, though, considering you're in Houston. (I wasn't thinking of Copps being a venue for shows, so much as a hockey arena.)

The dance school also has the Jr. Cheerleaders for the Ti-Cats (CFL) - they're a pretty big dance school in this town.

Since it is my daughter's dance school (and my son as well, for a couple of years) I wanted to be generous and give them a bit of a discount. Otherwise, I would have priced it at closer to $500 for the 4 cakes.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:34am
post #4 of 28

lol at the twinkies!!! no, you certainly did not overcharge!!!

xstitcher Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:05am
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

No, Hamilton Place. Nice guess, though, considering you're in Houston. (I wasn't thinking of Copps being a venue for shows, so much as a hockey arena.)

The dance school also has the Jr. Cheerleaders for the Ti-Cats (CFL) - they're a pretty big dance school in this town.

Since it is my daughter's dance school (and my son as well, for a couple of years) I wanted to be generous and give them a bit of a discount. Otherwise, I would have priced it at closer to $500 for the 4 cakes.

I know where Hamilton Place is and have actually been there and all about the TI-Cats! I grew up in Hamilton and went to school near Copps that's why it came to mind. I know they did all kinds of events there back then. My whole family (minus my kids and DH) actually still live close by (Stoney Creek) so I do get back every so often.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:46am
post #6 of 28

It's early, but I'm having trouble with your math. A 16 X 16, not torted/sheet style, 2" tall and cut into the standard 2"X2"X2" yields 64 servings. That creates the standard 8 cubic inches of cake. So four cakes would yield 256 servings. I must be missing something.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

It's early, but I'm having trouble with your math. A 16 X 16, not torted/sheet style, 2" tall and cut into the standard 2"X2"X2" yields 64 servings. That creates the standard 8 cubic inches of cake. So four cakes would yield 256 servings. I must be missing something.

Yeah, that. Be glad they said no, there would not be enough cake.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:

Yup, you would have had to make 4in deep cakes to serve 500 using 16in squares. Then I would still charge $3 per serving, $1100 more than you would have charged icon_eek.gif !

xstitcher Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:

Good catch Leahs, I totally missed that, must have been the late night and the glass of wine I was having. icon_lol.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:17am
post #10 of 28

at $0.80 a serving that is a steal! You can't even get that at our local wal-mart.

My base price for sheet cakes would have been $750 for that many servings. Once figuring the actual cake sizes I would need though and how many servings they would actually get it would be about $810 before delivery. For an order this big there would be a larger delivery charge because I don't have a vehicle that could haul that much cake so I would have to borrow, rent or make multiple trips.

bethyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyscake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:56am
post #11 of 28

I have a question along the same lines as this. however my cake is much much smaller. Its my first cake to be sold its going to be a 9" round cake probably 4 1" layers with fondant covering it and some fondant figures. its an ocean theme with a dolphin on top. I dont want to over charge yet i do want to get paid for my hard work. any ideas?

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyscake

I have a question along the same lines as this. however my cake is much much smaller. Its my first cake to be sold its going to be a 9" round cake probably 4 1" layers with fondant covering it and some fondant figures. its an ocean theme with a dolphin on top. I dont want to over charge yet i do want to get paid for my hard work. any ideas?

I don't sell cakes I make them for free for family and friends but if I did I would not undercut myself. I think it would be hard to raise the prices once you think your experienced enough. What you want to do is check out prices of other custom bakeries in your area that make custom cakes (not grocery store cakes) and keep within those ranges. I would charge by the serving (32 servings in a 9" round per Wilton's serving guide (1x2x4"serving size)) and if need be extra for any gp/fondant pieces. You want to not make sure you cover the cost of your supplies (this includes things such as cake boards/electricity/water/gas (for home and car to buy supplies) but your time as well (including going to the store).

If I were to do this cake I think I would charge about $5/serving + extra for the figures depending on how long they take to make.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

bethyscake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:29am
post #13 of 28

Yeah I was thinking those things as well. sadly the person im making the cake for is a friend and also on a low income. the supplies to make the cake and MMFondant arent that much and they wanted a cake for 4-8 people. I dont have a small cake pan so im stuck using the larger one. I gave them the price of 25 total which is probaly a bit low but its my first purchaced cake ever and he words at a radio station and said he will advertise my cakes.. so its a win win for us both.

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:52am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyscake

Yeah I was thinking those things as well. sadly the person im making the cake for is a friend and also on a low income. the supplies to make the cake and MMFondant arent that much and they wanted a cake for 4-8 people. I dont have a small cake pan so im stuck using the larger one. I gave them the price of 25 total which is probaly a bit low but its my first purchaced cake ever and he words at a radio station and said he will advertise my cakes.. so its a win win for us both.

That's great that your doing that for your friend and vice versa. thumbs_up.gif
I just wanted to add though that you want to make sure it's okay to sell cakes from home in your county/state. Better safe than sorry especially with the public advertising. Good luck and have fun.

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:15am
post #15 of 28

Good catch xstitcher. Bethys, that free advertising can bite you in the backside big time if you aren't legal. We don't want to see you fined or sued.

bethyscake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #16 of 28

Yeah Ive looked into a little bit and have told my friend to wait until I know for sure. It sucks that possibly depending on my location I could be forbidden to do this from home. But if that is the case then I will have to stay low key and by word of mouth and only make it apear as a friendly cake making and a kind gesture to pay for the supplies for their cakes...

Thank you though for considering this possibility and bringing it back to my attention.

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 28

Speaking as someone who tried the "low key" thing, don't assume it will work. You never know who might mention the great cake they just got, and the person they're talking to is the health inspector. (Or the health inspector's sister. Or . .. you get the idea)

--Voice of experience.

bethyscake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #18 of 28

I just checked online and California where I live requires a licensed building. So its a no go on being more public with my cakes. But i guess that just gives me more time to practice.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:

I was basing it on 1" x 2" servings, since they didn't want big pieces. 256 X 2 = 512.

(I was having computer problems yesterday - could log in but couldn't do anything else. Sorry for the delay in responding.)

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #20 of 28

I can understand not wanting ginormous slices of cake, but 1 X 2 X 2 is *really* small. Must be why all you Canadians appear so skinny. LOL

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:51pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:

I can understand not wanting ginormous slices of cake, but 1 X 2 X 2 is *really* small. Must be why all you Canadians appear so skinny. LOL

Yeah, that's it. icon_wink.gif They just didn't want excess cake all over the place, and messy costumes.

BTW: 'so skinny' - you're my new BFF! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #22 of 28

The last time we were in Montreal, every "chunky" person we met turned out to be from the US. We figured when you guys needed "large" people you just imported them.

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:

The last time we were in Montreal, every "chunky" person we met turned out to be from the US. We figured when you guys needed "large" people you just imported them.

You know Leah_s I think you may be on to something here....Everytime I move to the States I seem to put on weight icon_lol.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #24 of 28

Actually, they keep us big gals and guys inside until nightfall, when we come out to feed. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:06am
post #25 of 28

<- - - - -Currently peeing myself laughing . . . TOO FUNNY!

CutiePie - I'm one of "those" as well! LOL

bethyscake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #26 of 28

Guess ill be moving to Canada soon. icon_biggrin.gif

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:47pm
post #27 of 28

i don't think you under charged...as a matter of fact even if you charged $1.00 a slice they are still getting off way super cheap!!! and the twinkie thing is true...you cannot buy a twinkie for under a dollar....good luck...and if they come back at the last minute you better up the price for waiting so long......

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Actually, they keep us big gals and guys inside until nightfall, when we come out to feed. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Except for those of us lurking at the back of McDonald's all day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%