Need Help With Color Flow Images

Decorating By tonia0624 Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 2:56am by tracey1970

tonia0624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia0624 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 8

so I made some color flow flames for a harley davidson cake i'm doing. got some great ideas on here. so when I removed the symbol it broke icon_sad.gif the flames came off good but i'm afraid to attach them to the cake.
1 was because i was told it would melt against the fondant where fondant has grease in it.
and two is because i don't know how to attach them. do i use royal icing??
someone help pleasseee

7 replies
annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 8

Should be fine if you attach with royal icing. I've never had color flow "melt" on fondant OR buttercream (tho I have heard it will/can melt on buttercream after being in contact for a day or so).

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 8

Yes attach with royal icing. I haven't had any of mine melt or anything, but I guess it could happen.

tonia0624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia0624 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 8

thanx
i'll try
ya think i could attach it tonite. the lady is coming by tomorrow for it

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 8

They will soften next to buttercream after a few days, but not run or change shape at all. They turn sort of like the buttercream.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #6 of 8

I also attatch them with royal icing. Have had no problem with them melting.

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #7 of 8

Me too. They don't melt, even in the fridge. I've never put them on more than a day in advance, though, so I don't have personal experience with what happens after then. icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #8 of 8

I wouldn't think that RI would be a problem for attaching. However, I have done a little "test" to watch what happens to a color flow piece over time. I made some of those wee birds from the Wilton course 2 book. I inserted them into a buttercream iced cake (as they are in the course booklet) versus just laying them on top of the cake (which I have also done). After 24 hours, they were still standing but getting a bit soft. After a couple of days, the birds were wobbly and way soft. When I tried to pick one up and take it out of the BC, it crumbled and fell apart. It couldn't be picked up. I don't put a color flow piece on the cake until within hours of needing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%