Airbrush

Decorating By TLau09 Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 4:40pm by Loucinda

TLau09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TLau09 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 18

Just curious what type of airbrush equipment does everyone use?

Thanks!

17 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 18

I have the Kopykake Airmaster...Love it!!

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 18

Kiddiekakes ...you like your KopyKake airbush? I am thinking about purchasing one next week. Have you had any problems with it? What type of color do you use in it? The cake store out here only sells the americolor airbrush color.

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 18

I have the KopyKake Kroma Jet...it is the 'little brother' of the AirMaster...I used it for the first time this past weekend...I love it...it's wonderful...I fully recommend it to anyone who is thinking about buying one. icon_biggrin.gif

SJ, I'm pretty sure that you can use any airbrushing food color in your system. In the class that I just took, we used all different brands of airbrush color and it worked fabulous!! thumbs_up.gif

Once you get a taste of airbrushing, you'll want to airbrush everything!! icon_lol.gif

HTH

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 18

YAY im so so excited to get one!

TLau09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TLau09 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks everyone! Now for the next question .. did ya'll have to order yours online or were you able to buy them at a store? I looked on Michaels and AC Moore just to check and they didn't have anything! I'm so excited and want to try it but I don't want to have to wait to get it icon_cry.gif ...I guess I'll just have to wait if thats the only option!

Thanks again!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 18

GREX here - and a firm believer in them now!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 18

I have the KopyKake air master also. I bought mine at the cake store where I buy supplies but you can also get it on line.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 18

I don't have any airbrush experience, but after a ton of online research on different brands and styles, the Grex tritium series is at the TOP of my wish list. No doubt about it. The trigger just looks AMAZING!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 18

SJ169....I have had mine for 6 years now...Never had a problem...I clean it out really well after each use.I use the Americolor airbrush colors with it plus the sheen colors also like Pearl,Silver and Gold..Love them!!

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:51am
post #11 of 18

Does anyone know anything about Badger airbrush sets? I don't know much about them, but saw this brand at Michaels today. It didn't have an air compressor, but instead can propel, how safe is this stuff or should it only be used for non-food airbrushing? HELP!! and THANKS!!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:39am
post #12 of 18

I don't have any personal experience with the Badger airbrushes, but I have a friend who has mentioned her airbrush set that uses "cartridges" for air. I'm guessing it's probably the same system. All she really said about it is that the propelled air runs out really quick, and she hates going to buy more (plus the $$$ adds up quick). She is saving up to buy a compressor I think.

I have no idea about the food safety aspect, but unless it is specifically advertised for cake use or mentions food safety on the package or instructions, I would assume it is NOT food safe, but it would probably be worth contacting the company to be sure.

Just my 2cents... icon_rolleyes.gif hopefully someone who actually knows where their talking about will explain it all! thumbs_up.gif

laceycakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you for the feedback. I will probably be saving up for a air compressor system like your friend. It's probably more cost effective in the long run.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #14 of 18

Kiddiekakes, what brand is yours? I've googled it w/ no results.

Loucinda, what model do you have?

ETA: interested in compressors too. All the specs I need to know about. I haven't a clue what all the specs mean (airbrush or compressor) or what I should be looking for. The minimum and the best icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #15 of 18

I have the GREX Tritium TS -3 - and did I say how much I LOVE it?? That trigger is sooo much easier to use than a traditional airbrush. I didn't even have to buy the hose and compressor - they make adaptors for the one I already owned -which was great. I cannot say enough good things about this gun. It also has a 6 year warranty.

I also own a Badger 150-5 which I hate. It is difficult to use, and it a BEAR to try to get back together if you take it apart to clean - came with crappy instructions - not a good one for your first purchase IMO.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #16 of 18

I read reviews on the Tritiums & they must be great! They have them at chicagoairbrushsupply.com for $209. Does that sound about right? My dh has a small compressor he bought at Lowes for an air nail gun. Do you think I can use it if I get a new hose?

laceycakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:20pm
post #17 of 18

Does anyone have an opinion about Master Performance air brushes? I have seen them on The Kustom PaintShop website and being sold my TCPGlobal. They are bundlded with 12 AmeriColor food paints. Any opinions? Thanks

Loucinda Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:40pm
post #18 of 18

Dandelion - just tell them what kind of compressor you have and they should be able to match up what you need. I didn't even have to buy a new hose, they make an adaptor for it! (but then it has only been used for my cake decorating - nothing else) That sounds about right - I bought the gun, the adaptor, a regulator and the stand for 299. at ICES.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%