Love My New Airbrush!

Decorating By mellormom Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm by mellormom

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 9

They really do class up a cake! I feel that my cakes are one class above what they used to be now. I already got way more comments on the cake I posted using the airbrush than on my other cakes.
I bought the kopykake airbrush with the red compressor. It came with 12 colors plus airbrush cleaner witch was very nice. The colors are not as good as americolor but they are just fine for practicing and for when you don't have americolor on hand.
If you want an airbrush I was told make sure it has air speed control with it. Kopykake's is the red one. The black one doesn't have the control and in my opinion would be a waste of money.
And if you can't decide weather to go with an airbrush or edible image printer first my choice is the airbrush. I have both and I think the airbrush is going to come in really handy on almost every cake where as the printer doesn't get used as much.
Just thought I would share. (Below is a picture of the cake that I used the aribrush on. )
Jen...

8 replies
kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 9

dont see the cake attached! i have been wanting an airbrush as well, but i havent even looked into it. how much does one run?

mellormom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 9

mine was $225. Not sure if that was a sale price though. I got it at the ices convention.
The cake must have been to big I'll try to post again.
Jen...
LL

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 9

This may be a dumb question, but do you use the airbrush as an alternative to dying the fondant?

The beautiful cake that you posted, you sprayed blue over the white fondant to achieve that color?

mellormom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 9

no dumb questions here!
This paticular cake was allready blue from another cake I made and it was kneaded in. (this cake is a dummy cake) Then the purple and pearl were airbrushed on.
But now that I have an airbrush I won't have to knead anymore if I don't want to.
I make Marshmallow fondant so if I want all of it to be one color I just add it to the melted Marshmallows and stir. This is pretty easy to do and since you have to knead it to make it anyway...
But if you buy your fondant the airbrush is the way to go. It's way easier on your arms and takes less time than kneading.
This is just my opinion and others may do it differently.
Jen...

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 9

i too love my KK AB/ But just be aware that once you AB a cake if you have to refrigerate the cake and it sweats when you take it out the AB can bead up. But generally it will dry ok. But the AB is really really handy to have.

mellormom Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:47am
post #7 of 9

why do you have to refriderate an AB cake? I haven't heard this before so now I'm curious. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 9

no you dont have to, im referring to when you have a filling that needs to be kept cool. So when im planning things out, if i know the cake needs to be refridgerated i try to avoid AB it. thats all.

mellormom Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 9

Oh..... Now I get it! LOL I can't do fillings that need to be refridgerated so I'm all set. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%