An Easier Way To Dye Mmf =D

Baking By helen3743 Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 3:04am by FlourPots

helen3743 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen3743 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 19

hi i'm an amateur...

and maybe everyone is already aware of this tip, and it just took me thiS long to figure it out...

but you know after making fondant, and you let it sit a couple hours or overnight, to dye the fondant, you add in a little dye at a time and knead it in. For me, it takes time.. and can get tiring from all that kneading.. esp if there's a lot of fondant or a lot of different colors to dye.

But i realized it's soooooo much easier, when you add in dye when the mmf is in it's liquidy state, before you even add in the confectioner's suger. Like after I melt the marshmellows and add whatever ingredients, i also add the dye and swirl that in as well. And surprisingly, adding the 2lbs of powdered sugar after doesn't lessen the color intensity.

=D

18 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 19

I think most of us know this already icon_biggrin.gif

But, maybe some don't so thanks for sharing!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 19

I'm about to make my first batch of fondant and didn't have a clue how to color it. Thank you for the tip! thumbs_up.gif

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 19

I didn't know that!!!! Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 19

i also figured this out the hard way because the recipe doesn't mention being able to do this (at least the one i used) but after reading a lot of threads about MMF i figured this out. i used americolor to make red and it turned out great. then i tried orange (a different brand of color but i am at work and don't remember which) it tore easily, but i think just because i added too much ps.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 19

Thanx! What great timing..I'm doing my first batch today...that will help!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I think most of us know this already icon_biggrin.gif

But, maybe some don't so thanks for sharing!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ditto! icon_lol.gif

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 19

I found this out also on CC, but my question to all you experts out there is what if you want to make one batch of MMF but need several different colors. I dont want to make a batch per color. I usually end up kneading it in anyway because of this situation. there has been one or two times i spooned out some of the liquid marshmellow into another bowl so that i didnt color all of it, but that was a mess and then making sure i get the right amount of powedered sugar in eat bowl was ify....

kweenofengland Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 19

since we are just passing info along today.....does everyone know not to use a vacuum sealer when getting the air out of the bag that you put the fondant in? I did this once and my MMF was so hard i couldnt even knead in color. i had to start over and I cried! My sister in law who is learning to do cakes and did the MMF for the first time last night called and said her MMF was soooo hard. I thought, oh no! yep, she used a vacuum sealer! She had to have her husband (my brother) make a new batch because she had to go to work! Needless to say, i went over and tried to help her after we both got off work cause it really set her back!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

I found this out also on CC, but my question to all you experts out there is what if you want to make one batch of MMF but need several different colors. I dont want to make a batch per color. I usually end up kneading it in anyway because of this situation. there has been one or two times i spooned out some of the liquid marshmellow into another bowl so that i didnt color all of it, but that was a mess and then making sure i get the right amount of powedered sugar in eat bowl was ify....

Usually if you add the color just after making it, while it's still warm, it's not nearly as hard to knead the color into it.

kweenofengland Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 19

'Usually if you add the color just after making it, while it's still warm, it's not nearly as hard to knead the color into it.'

ok great! i have done this once also, but usually i am just so tired by then that i dont do it! but i think it would help in the long run.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:

I'm certainly no expert, but I'll share what I do icon_smile.gif

If I don't need a whole batch of a certain color I make half a batch or even a quarter batch so I can add the color to the melted MM. If I need less than a quarter batch, the amount is small enough that kneading the color into white isn't too bad and doesn't take very long.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 19

If you do knead it in, you can put it in the micro to reheat it and it is much easier to knead it. I usually micro my mmf at least twice when I knead in colors.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:

'Usually if you add the color just after making it, while it's still warm, it's not nearly as hard to knead the color into it.'

ok great! i have done this once also, but usually i am just so tired by then that i dont do it! but i think it would help in the long run.

I'm lazy and I make my MMF in the KA, with the dough hook, both bowl and hook greased very well, and on the lowest setting. So when it gets done I have plenty of energy left to knead colors in icon_biggrin.gif

I also use more water, the recipe I use is the simple one with 1lb MM, 2LB ps and 2 tbsp water, but I add 4 tbsp water instead. It's never been too soft to work with by the next day, but it's always soft enough to add color easily just after making it.

catlharper Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 19

sort of off question...I just made my first batch...it wasn't so hard to knead the color into the two small sections I paired off after the first kneading...but I'm new to fondant and brand new to MMF so my question is: how much does one batch of MMF cover? I'd doing a 6 inch and an 8 inch...is one batch enough?

thanx!

kweenofengland Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #16 of 19

yes that is plenty! I usually make one batch and cover a 10" double layer and an 8" double layer. i made 3 batches one weekend because i had 2 wedding cakes to do. one cake was a 6" rd single layer, 8" round single layer and a 12" round single layer. Then the other cake was a 10 in. sq double layer, 8" sq. dbl layer and a 6" square dbl layer. I have a whole batch of MMF that was never touched!

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!

catlharper Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #18 of 19

Thanx so much Kween! I'll post photos when I'm done!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmollie

If you do knead it in, you can put it in the micro to reheat it and it is much easier to knead it. I usually micro my mmf at least twice when I knead in colors.

This is the only way I add color to fondant now...I despise kneading and microwaving makes it soooo easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%