Help!!! How To Do I Do 3-D Embroidery Rose Technique???

Decorating By Ruth0304 Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm by all4cake

Ruth0304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0304 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 24

Hello all, I need some help I will be giving my mom her 1st ever B-day party. Her 60th, she has no Idea but I have been showing her pictures of cakes pretending it was for a wedding practice cake and though she liked many, she loved one in particular from this site. It is a black 3 tier cake with red 3-D like embroidered rose I've seen some of the brush embroidery but in this one the flowers seem to pop out more than all the rest and it definetly uses a different technique. I'm not sure If I can post her pic on my forum but you can look it up by doing a search on either black cakes or cakes with embroidery and you will see the stunning black cake with red roses icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to any one that can help me understand how to achieve this look. Like I said it for a special occasion. So I would love to try to surprice her with the cake that she most liked.

I will try to contact the person that made the cake originally, but I saw she had gotten bum rushed with questions on how to do this technique and I don't know if I should bother her..... icon_confused.gif

If anyone knows how to accomplish this I would really love and appreciate some help

Thanks, Ruth

23 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 24

I do believe there's a tutorial on that...I was thinking it was crewel though...not embroidery...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1325128

all4cake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 24

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=134393

if you scroll down, maryann tells how she made the flowers...kinda...

all4cake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnC88tPb78&feature=PlayList&p=9ABF3716833BAED8&index=41

seriouscakes (a CC member) shows how to do it in buttercream....

it's basically building up layers...

the black and red one uses a combination of the crewel technique (the flower) and brush (for the leaves)

gorgeous cakes...both of 'em!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 24

Is it the 3 tier by karateka? If so, you can pm her for help.

Ruth0304 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnC88tPb78&feature=PlayList&p=9ABF3716833BAED8&index=41

seriouscakes (a CC member) shows how to do it in buttercream....

it's basically building up layers...

the black and red one uses a combination of the crewel technique (the flower) and brush (for the leaves)

gorgeous cakes...both of 'em!

Yes!!! thank you so much. So it's called the crewel technique? will look it up to see if I could find some info icon_razz.gif

Ruth0304 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 24

Thanks so much, icon_biggrin.gif just saw the you tube video and now I have more of an idea on how to achieve this look of course It would never look like the original, but for my mom I'm going to try icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you!!!!

all4cake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 24

The original was made using extruded fondant (moydear77 states this amongst the other comments on her photo http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=134393 )

SeriousCakes demonstrates it being piped with icing

two different techniques...gonna produce slightly different outcomes, eh?

Moydear77 states that the ONE flower took her 10 hours...I don't doubt it one bit...she's good...she's precise...it was a competition piece...she also states, each strand was individually placed one on top of the other to produce the effect.

It's crewel embroidery(or crewell either way...it's cruel work!)

Ruth0304 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:

The original was made using extruded fondant (moydear77 states this amongst the other comments on her photo http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=134393 )

SeriousCakes demonstrates it being piped with icing

two different techniques...gonna produce slightly different outcomes, eh?

Moydear77 states that the ONE flower took her 10 hours...I don't doubt it one bit...she's good...she's precise...it was a competition piece...she also states, each strand was individually placed one on top of the other to produce the effect.

OMG you're amazing!! 10 hours!!! wow I love my mom but I don't know if I have the patience to make that many roses, as is required in the black cake. Thanks, for being so helpful and gathering this info, I did not know this pic existed which explains how she did it.
icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:15am
post #10 of 24

I made the black cake in question, and it was Moydear77's technique.

It was done with a pattern and an extruder. I wouldn't mind typing up the article, but have not made a tutorial since it isn't my technique and I don't feel quite right about it....

The whole thing is in a back issue of American Cake Decorating....can't really remember which, as I can't locate my copy just now, but I think it was a summer issue in '07 (but don't quote me!)

The issue is, I really found the pictures helpful and I don't have a scanner, so I'm afraid that typing up the article without pictures might not be as helpful as with pictures. (not to mention having the pattern to copy was helpful) Plus, I admit that it has occurred to me that reprinting an article like that might infringe on copyright. Anybody know about that?

I apologize that I cannot be more helpful, but I will at least spend some time tonight trying to find my copy so I can tell you all what issue of ACD to order if needs be.

all4cake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #11 of 24

karateka, you had several flowers on your's (absolutely gorgeous cake, btw!). Did you spend 10 hours each on your flowers? Just noticing differences that may have added to the time factor... the pink one had several shades of pink (extruding the various colors can definitely be time consuming) and seemed to have a couple more layers than the red ones.

karateka Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #12 of 24

I don't think it was quite that long, but each one took a really long time. I did use a bigger die than she did, simply because my smallest one went AWOL and to this day is missing. I did othewise follow the instructions exactly, including several different shades of color. I might have been able to put a few more of the sausage shaped pieces in the middle, but just stopped where it looked good to me.

This was my first attempt at this technique, so naturally it is a bit more rough and unrefined than the creator's.

I often been tempted to apply this to other flowers, but haven't had the time as yet.

all4cake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #13 of 24

If I were to attempt it, my version would probably end up on the day's entry on Cake Wrecks! As I say that, I'd like to try making a flower like that...I've been looking through stencils, embroidery patterns...(the free printable stuff). I seen one...but it wasn't a printable(it was the cover of some crewel embroidery book)...reminded me of the Red Hot Poker (not indian poker.)
( http://www.sundaybooks.se/gimage21/9780486229294.jpg )...wouldn't that be pretty?

karateka Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #14 of 24

that would be perfect!

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #15 of 24
Quote:

AMEN! icon_eek.gif

Ruth0304 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #16 of 24

You guys are amazing, thanks Karateka and all four cakes, for all your help.

Karateka,this cake is amazing and I don't think people on this site have noticed all the tremendous talent that went into making this beautiful cake. I'm glad that with this forum people have taken a second look at your beautiful cake icon_wink.gif.

Thanks, Ruth icon_biggrin.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 24

Hello Everyone!

The first flower took ten hours to create. It was for the OSSAS and I used the smallest die with the Metal extruder. This was before I bought two sugar craft guns! I can knock them out in three hours using a larger die. The article I did this for was in the the June July issue 2007! The article is well done and the pictures help a great deal! It can be found on American Cake Decorating Magazine website. I hope this finds everyone well!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #18 of 24

I really want to learn how to do this technique, but ACD wants $7.95 for shipping on this particular issue. Money is too tight right now to spend that kind of money just for shipping... icon_sad.gif

karateka Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Hello Everyone!

The first flower took ten hours to create. It was for the OSSAS and I used the smallest die with the Metal extruder. This was before I bought two guns! I can knock them out in three hours using a larger die. The article I did this for was in the the June July issue 2007! The article is well done and the pictures help a great deal! It can be found on American Cake Decorating Magazine website. I hope this finds everyone well!

Thank you Mary....

Ruth0304 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:

Hello Everyone!

The first flower took ten hours to create. It was for the OSSAS and I used the smallest die with the Metal extruder. This was before I bought two guns! I can knock them out in three hours using a larger die. The article I did this for was in the the June July issue 2007! The article is well done and the pictures help a great deal! It can be found on American Cake Decorating Magazine website. I hope this finds everyone well!

Hello Mary, just wanted to tell you that I really appreciate your talent and vision. Thanks for this most amazing technique, though it seems time consuming my mom is well worth the try.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #21 of 24

[quote="ptanyer"]I really want to learn how to do this technique, but ACD wants $7.95 for shipping on this particular issue. Money is too tight right now to spend that kind of money just for shipping... icon_sad.gif[/quote

You can find it on ebay as well or a well stocked cake supply store. I don't make any money off the Shoot, production or sale ,but I do get the recognition. Which is priceless icon_smile.gif

karateka Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:

I don't make any money off the Shhot, production or sale ,but I do get the recognition. Which is priceless icon_smile.gif

and well deserved.

karateka Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0304

Karateka,this cake is amazing and I don't think people on this site have noticed all the tremendous talent that went into making this beautiful cake. I'm glad that with this forum people have taken a second look at your beautiful cake icon_wink.gif.

Thanks, Ruth icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you, Ruth!

all4cake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #24 of 24

still looking at patterns....it may just be called raised or puff embroidery...the images seem to suit the look more so than crewel.

so, give raised or puff embroidery a shot when searching for ideas(for those who may be looking...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%