Does Mmf Dry Hard?

Decorating By mvucic Updated 23 Aug 2005 , 6:36pm by alimonkey

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 7

I thought I read here that MMF doesn't dry like fondant or gumpaste if shaped into 3D. Will it if I leave it to dry any length of time?

Thanks?

6 replies
Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 7

It is very nice for modeling and all, but it doesn't get rock hard that I've noticed. Of course with my family, it doesn't last past 2 days. icon_lol.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 7

MMF doesn't tolerate humdity very well .. it will dry however, but if a really humid day and if you had made a looped bow on top of your cake, it could very well fall or flop down on you ... I think gumpaste works better as far as bows and 3D shaped things. Or you can use regular fondant and mix some Tylose into it and this helps it dry and hold it's shape better.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 7

I think someone told me something different elsewhere on this site, because I went out and bought a can of gumtex to add to my MMF to make it dry faster/harder. Was that not right?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 7

I know you can knead in cornstarch and it will help MMF dry quicker ... also you can add Tylose and it will make it more like a gumpaste. I'm still not sure how it would hold up to humidity... I'm sure if you add enough cornstarch it would help with that though.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 7

Well, dang it, what can you do with gum tex?

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 7

I must be doing something wrong then. My mmf dries out pretty quickly. It's pretty humid here-around 60% most days, and I can leave a rose to dry overnight. It won't be dry completely through the center, but most of it is. The petals are completely dry.

Maybe that's because I roll it out on cornstarch instead of pdr sugar. Don't know.

Ali

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%