How Do I Get Out Of The Mold???

Decorating By dogwood Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm by jammjenks

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a seashell and starfish wedding cake. I made some of my own silicone molds with seashells I collected on various beach trips and those worked great but since I didn't have any starfish I bought the molds for those. I believe they are candy molds made from that clear hard plastic like stuff. I washed and dried the molds then dusted with powdered sugar, then poured in my melted candy melts but now I can't get them out of the mold without breaking the arms!!icon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

9 replies
nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 10

Did you try sticking them in the freezer for a couple of minutes? Sometimes that helps.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 10

When you put candy melts in the plastic molds, you don't need to dust with powdered sugar. Just pour it straight in, smooth the backs, and pop in the freezer until hard, then flip the mold over and the candies should pop right out.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 10

I was going to recommend the same as nanikins, once you remove the mold from the freezer just gently tap it on your counter/table.

Here are a couple of links that might help:
http://www.extremechocolate.com/chocolatecandymolds.html
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/chocolatecandymolding.htm

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 10

i,ve never dusted any candy molds. just fill..make back smooth.. put in frig or freezer. and then turn out.. hth

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:21am
post #6 of 10

I agree, there is no need to dust it. Just stick to the freezer like suggested above.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 10

when I did mine I dusted them with corn starch, and make sure they are fully set

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #8 of 10

also I twist the mold a wee bit to help them out

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks so much to all of you!!!! icon_biggrin.gif When I get home from work I will put in the freezer for a couple of hours then try to get out.
As for dusting with powdered sugar, I did that the second time around after I broke them all trying to get out of the mold the first time. I never thought of putting them in the freezer.

Thanks again,
Elaine

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

also I twist the mold a wee bit to help them out

I do this too. I always freeze until set, twist, and thump them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%