Strawberry Shortcake Filling For Tierd Cake ....help!

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 5:31am by panchanewjersey

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone...

I have a cake due out for Sept. 5th for a family friend.

She has asked me to make a 3 tiered cake for her DD 1st birthday.

Decorating the cake is up to me and what ever I would like to do.

She wants a white cake with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream for the filling.

I know I can do this with a non stack cake, but I am worried that since there will be other tiers on top of the cake that there might be slipping or sliding of the torted layers or tiers.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone ever done a cake like this before?

I have been reading other posts here about using strawberries and whipped cream but none of them refer to it being a stacked cake...

Any help, input or advice would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thank you all for reading icon_smile.gif

10 replies
G_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 11

20 views and no responses Oh my ... this is not boding well LOL!

Anyone at all? Even a recipe would be helpful icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 11

Wish i could offer some help, ive never used a fresh filling before! hope some one does know though x

G_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks Caths_Cakes I am hoping too!

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 11

hi there!!! ive actually done one like this, i did a sheet cake, torted it, and for the filling ive used either the martha stewart custard layered on the bottom layer, added fresh strawberries, then more custard, i crumb coated it with smbc put it in the fridge to set up hard then put the fondant on, and on top of that i also stacked a barbie doll dress cake (torted in the same fashion) and it was fine (see my pics for the cake. ive also used instant vanilla pudding in lieu of the custard with no problems. i hope this helps you!!

baby

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 11

I actually do this quite a bit. I just did a Batman/Gotham City stacked cake (3 tiers) cake about a week ago with a strawberry shortcake filing. Ok I'm not the best at explaining myself, but here goes I did a total of 3 tiers, which were 6 layers of cake, it was big. so for each tier I took 2 full layers, leveled them put in the filling between the two.

I use Better-cream whipped with white chocolate pudding and added fresh strawberries, it ends up to be a very sable whipped cream like filling and is sooo yummy. Anyhow I pipe a thick buttercream dam, about an inch in from the edge, and then fill in the center up to my dam with the filling, it usuually give me a good inch and a half of filling between the layers. Stack the next layer on top, leveled side down. Press it down to make sure every thing spreds and stays put, then I go around the outside and fill in the remaining space between the layers with BC then crumb coat, frost and eventually stack, like always. works perfect.

I know this is too wordy, but I talk alot, sorry! Good luck, Andrea

G_Cakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 11

Wow thank you all for your help icon_smile.gif

Andrea not to wordy at all I like details icon_smile.gif

Did you have any problems with seepage from the berries being to moist or juicy?

Wondering about the cake becoming soggy...

Miss Lizzy

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:28am
post #8 of 11

I just made a strawberry cake with whipped cream filling and fresh strawberries. I asked the same question in another post about the cake getting soggy and I got a response that said to put a thin layer of buttercream on each layer before putting the cream and strawberries on. It acts like a barrier. I also used Dr. Oetker stabilizer for the whipped cream and layed the sliced strawberries on some paper towels to absord as much liquid as possible. I can't tell you how it turned out because it's in the fridge waiting to be eaten tomorrow icon_smile.gif The cake has a ladybug on top (half sports ball) and so far it hasn't budged at all. I'll let you know after tomorrow how the actual cake holds up.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #9 of 11

I am doing a wedding cake very similar right now. 4 tier.
I did my white chocolate sour cream cake (recipe in my recipes)
I did the fresh strawberry filling in the recipes here and I am using fresh made buttercream although you could use a whipped frosting. Sams sells whipped frosting by the bucket in the bakery and it is quite good.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:17am
post #10 of 11

Yes, yes, yes. When working with fresh fruit or other liquidy fillings always coat the bottom layer with a protective barrier. I always use either a neutral flavor(apricot) or the same flavor jam or preserves. Melt some in the microwave w/ a little lemon juice or water and brush it on. It cools almost instantly and keeps the lower layer dry. Or it could turn to mush.

Decorate and fill as normal.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:31am
post #11 of 11

Actually I do this all the time. Except my strawberry shortcake has crushed graham cracker in the whipped cream along with fresh strawberries, so yummy. So if your using this filling what's your icing going to be? Usually people ask for whipped topping also. When icing with bc I use a dam of bc them fill my cake with whip/straw. But if I use whipped cream to ice the cake then I don't use a dam I just stay atleast 1/2 inc from the edge of cake and as I'm icing I push some in with my spatula so the strawberries don't stick out. I hope you get what I'm trying to say. I also stack them with no problems the dam makes all the difference. I never stack whipped cream cakes though so don't know how that would go about. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%