What Makes You A Weirdo?

Lounge By veronica720 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 5:01am by veronica720

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 208

What weird quirks or fears do you have that make people around you think you are nuts?

I thought of this the other day when I was making a list of stuff to get at the store. I wrote down 'Nair' (hair remover) and that made me think of this, because no one in my home actually uses 'Nair'.
I buy it because of one of my crazy fears. Well here are my top three weird quirks.

1. I am afraid of drains-sink, bathtub, shower.... Which is why I buy 'Nair' for the shower drain, I refuse to stick my hand by the drain and pull out the clump of hair that gets stuck there, so I pour 'Nair' on it and let it sit for a while then wash away. In the kitchen I use long tongs to get any food by the drain.

2. I don't like my food touching on my plate, I keep everything separated very carefully.

3. At night in our bedroom all the doors must be closed- bathroom, closet, and bedroom. This is because to me it looks they are opening, I know it is just my eyes playing tricks on me but it still freaks me out.

My husband thinks I am crazy, but has learned to accept these things about me. He laughs and shakes his head. But I told him that these are the things that make me "ME"

207 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 208

I'm with you on the doors being closed at night in my bedroom. My eyes will play tricks on me everytime if they're open.

One of my "things" is to count. I have to brush each section of my teeth 33 times before moving to the next section. After showering, I dry my hair with a towel and have to rub it 55 times. Why? I have no idea!

I'm sure there are more of these quirky things but that's what I can think of right now.

KimAZ

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 208

That is a great idea about the Nair. I use a long plastic strip from the hardware store and some rubber gloves but the Nair sounds a lot easier. Seriously, the more I think about it the smarter your idea seems...we should call you Heloise! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

My weird phobia is mud. I can't stand the look or feel of it. When I was pregnant, someone tracked mud into my work and the look of it made me throw up. I used to be able to walk in it if I had to but I broke my leg in February falling in the mud and now I can barely walk across dirt without getting really bad vertigo.

I used to have the same issue about the doors in the bedroom. I can't see well without my contact lenses and things do look like they're moving in the dark.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 208

I love the Nair idea!
My weird things...
1. I'm terrified of sharks. In the swimming pool.
2. I refuse to touch raw meat. If I am forced to touch it, I can't eat it.
3. Using my electric toothbrush makes me pee my pants.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 208

Probably that I LOVE raw meat. Yum....a little (or big!) chunk off the end of a steak before grilling....dash of salt...pop it in! Meat is really only good if you don't cook it very long anyways. icon_wink.gif

veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 208

Haha, sharks in the pool.

I knew I wasn't the only one with the these crazy quirks.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 208

I only have one kinda odd fear: bridges. As a kid, going to my grandma's we had to drive across two lakes with very narrow bridges, no shoulder at all, and my mom is a very bad driver. I always had it planned out in my head how I was going to get myself and the younger kids out if she crashed and went into the water.

That was the start of it, then years later after I was married and gone, there was a terrible bridge collapse in Memphis, and I found out the my family had driven across it just a half hour before the collapse going to my brothers soccer tournament. I can drive on them, but I get very tense and my heart rate goes up.

I am kind of anal about things being done just so. For example, our dishes have a non-symmetrical pattern, and when the table is set, I want the dishes turned all the same, and so the pattern is a certain way. My husband and daughter will deliberately turn at least one the wrong way, just to watch me have to "fix" it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 208

my wied things are
- eye drops - seriously. i dont knowq what it is, im just petrified of them. thankfully ive never had to have them, but i live in fear of conjunctivitis! although this one has calmed down.
- things under the bed - namely wolves and murderers. my bf has actually helpd with this by creating a friendly, imaginary geoff that lives under our bed. very funny - but if i get it in my head that theres something there (totally irrational) i still wont check under the bed.
- i dont drink. i dont think its *that* weird, but a lot of people cant process this!
xx

veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 208

CakebyJen2 I am that way about alot of stuff, all the veggie cans have to face the same way.

brincess_b I also am scared of whats under the bed, I won't look either

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 208

I really don't like feet...And my daughter wants to be a foot surgeon, so she's always sticking her feet in my face because she thinks they're wonderful icon_mad.gif I have the anti-foot fetish.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 208

This is a funny thread.
*I am really not sure I want everyone to know this but what the hell.
*I have to chew the same amount of food on both sides of my mouth.
*I eat things that come in colors (m&m's for instance) in pairs and if there is an odd one I give it to someone or break it in half.
*I am afraid of bears but for good reason. I was chased by a mother black bear in Yellowstone when I was 5. There is a store here called Klienschmidts that sells boots and western wear. It has probably 200 taxidermy mounts in the store and the front door is flanked by one grizzly and one polar bear on thier back feet like they are going to attack. I have to run in the door of the place.
*I cannot walk on surfaces that I do not feel are solid such as those grates on city sidewalks, see through bridges in the mall etc...
*Things have to be "balanced" if you rub one foot you have to do the other. If hubby swats one side of my butt he has to do the other side.
I guess that is the majority of my issues. lol icon_wink.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 208

costumeczar,

I hate feet too! I cringe when people wear sandals to work!!!!

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 208

Great Topic!

I love the nair suggestion from the OP, I'm going to have to try that.

I have way too many strange quirks, but the most predominant is an intense obsession/affinity with the number three. You know how people have favorite numbers? This goes WAY beyond that lol. I've been like this since I was a child.

I'm the third child in my family, I graduated from grade 13 (Ontario, Canada) in 2003. Etc, Etc. Everything I do has to do with the number 3, accidental or intentional. But the real kicker: I'm getting married next month to the love of my life (and the third relationship I've had) and you'll never guess what his last name (which will be mine) is lol: TRIPPLE. You can't even make this stuff up. And he's from a family of three boys. haha. I also think that 2 is the mortal enemy of the number three and is evil.

Besides that I hate feet as well. They look like partially evolved hands to me, grosses me out!

I also have a bad habit of personifying objects/animals. My hubby to be loves to take advantage of this, because he knows that as soon as he states that I'm being unfair to one candle by always using that one I'll feel the need to be fair to the other candles and give them a chance. I know they are only candles lol, but I still feel bad if I don't.

veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #14 of 208

I have a couple more

When we go out to dinner, I always sit facing the door. I don't like my back to everyone coming in, I don't know why it's not like I am waiting to be whacked by the mob or something.

I also eat colored items a certain way, not in pairs though. I sort them into color groups and make sure they are all even in numbers (i eat the extras first), then I will go in order eating one of each color. red, blue, green, then red, blue, green and so on

costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

costumeczar,

I hate feet too! I cringe when people wear sandals to work!!!!

I KNEW I wasn't alone! icon_lol.gif My college roommate had feet that looked like monkey hands, and she could twist her toes in a certain way that would make them look like paws. It was strangely fascinating.

I also can't sleep if anything other than the covers is touching me, but that's probably because it's usually my husband putting his FEET on me that wakes me up.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 208

I can't leave the toaster plugged in. If anyone has made toast, then I have to make sure it's unplugged before I leave the house. I can leave anything else plugged in though, which is what makes it so strange!

I sort my M&M's into colors....then eat the brown first, then green, blue, red, yellow and then orange. The orange is my favorite. icon_lol.gif Like it tastes different from the others!

Jodie

costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne25

I also have a bad habit of personifying objects/animals. My hubby to be loves to take advantage of this, because he knows that as soon as he states that I'm being unfair to one candle by always using that one I'll feel the need to be fair to the other candles and give them a chance. I know they are only candles lol, but I still feel bad if I don't.

I'm laughing so hard right now...I read this to my daughter (the future foot surgeon) and she got all agitated and said that's what she does too! She says that if she has a salad fork and a dinner fork she'll use the salad fork for dinner "because he wants to eat, too!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:57pm
post #18 of 208

I can't stand bridges either, but for seemingly no reason. Bridges or Tunnels. The Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel nearly made me pee my pants when we crossed it, and we were in a convertible!

I also can't stand seeing/looking under the water in the ocean - like in the movies or snorkeling (I was forced to do it on my honeymoon) icon_rolleyes.gif . It totally creeps me out. I could never go in a submarine and look out into the deep. I think it has to do with the vastness of it all. I'm weirded out by outer space as well. I know, it's totally irrational, but I can't stand it.

I know this one sounds normal but...I am deathly afraid of palmetto bugs - you know, the big cockroachy looking things? Like, I think I see them out of the corner of my eye all the time...when their not there. When I do see one (one or two typically creeps into our house after a good bunch of rain) I am a basketcase for a week. Now, this would seem perfectly normal if I weren't the one that killed the spiders in my house. Not so scared of them (unless they're unusually large), but my husband is a girl when it comes to spiders. icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #19 of 208

I can do the monkey feet thing too...or I could before I got all this hardware in my leg. Now I can only do the monkey foot thing with one foot.

I get vertigo walking over bridges. I have gone wading through a creek in the dark rather than cross a railroad bridge. When I was a kid I saw a guy playing chicken with a train and he fell and got his foot stuck in the bridge. The train was trying hard to stop but couldnt. At the last second the kid got his foot out and flung himself off the side. My mom stopped to see if he was okay and he had broken his ribs (about a 20 foot drop from the train trestle).

Oh, here's my weirdest one...I am not happy unless my front door and my stove face north. In the apartment I'm in now, they face east and I don't care for that at all. My bed also needs to be going north to south. If it has to, it can go south to north, but I don't sleep well if it's going east to west or vice versa. My husband says when we buy a home it will have to be a trailer so we can have it set on the lot in the direction that I will be happy with. I can always tell too, even indoors, which way is which...kind of like I have my own internal compass.

veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:07pm
post #20 of 208

Also when I put money in my wallet I have to make sure it is in order and faces the same way, I don't want any of them to be face-to-face. That would just be weird, like they were kissing can't stand it.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:13pm
post #21 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica720

Also when I put money in my wallet I have to make sure it is in order and faces the same way, I don't want any of them to be face-to-face. That would just be weird, like they were kissing can't stand it.

Have you ever been a cashier? Back when I trained cashiers for convenience stores, I would have loved you! The bank likes the money better that way too.

veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #22 of 208

Yes I was a cashier at walmart for about two years then moved to the salesfloor, the office liked counting my drawer.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #23 of 208

My first job was as a cashier in Target and at that time if your bills were not "faced" you goe written up. Now I cannot stand it if my bills are not in order and caced also.

Feet? BLAHGGGHHHHHHHH!!! I cannot stand feet. I was a hairdresser for sometime and in school I ditched during pedicure day. My gramma needs help clipping her toe nails which are like horse hooves and I lover her more than anything but I just cannot do it. My husband touches me with his long, boney, hairy, clammy feet and I just want to crawl up the fricken wall. When I see people who hae toenails that are longer than the edge of thier toe I just want to run away screaming. There should be foot police who have to inspect your feet prior to allowing you to show them in public.

Ya know, it is scary that people actually pay this bunch of freaks to make cakes for thier most special days. lol. Glad to know I am far from alone.

veronica720 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #24 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Ya know, it is scary that people actually pay this bunch of freaks to make cakes for thier most special days. lol. Glad to know I am far from alone.

So true....haha

veronica720 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #25 of 208

Oh wow the first time I tried to quote someone and it worked.....woohoo

now back to the regularly scheduled programing

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #26 of 208

Genetics. Who knows what's swimming in their own gene pool?

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #27 of 208

I can't walk across grates or grills on the street, and the glass floor at the top of the CN Tower terrifies me.
If I can't touch the bottom of the pool with my feet, panic sets in ... and my face can't get wet either. Needless to say I'm not a swimmer!
And I count stairs! We live in a side-split so I have 4 sets of them in this house 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 HaHa
But other than that, I'm perfect!! icon_rolleyes.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #28 of 208

This thread is a psychiatrist's dream! And it's so funny!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #29 of 208

I am pretty afraid of mustard.

veronica720 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #30 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I am pretty afraid of mustard.

Wait!!! What???

Quote by @%username% on %date%