Michelle Foster's Chocolate Fondant?

Baking By Malakin Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm by dsilvest

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone used this recipe, the one where you add the semisweet chips? I made some to cover a cake the other day and it cracked. It wasn't dry or crumbly when I kneaded or rolled or applied it. I also did another cake with Michelle's white fondant recipe and it held up great. Went to the same place with both cakes, so same travel condition.

I just wonder, will adding maybe one more teaspoon of glycerin take care of this problem?

8 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 9

In the posted recipe shes states the chocolate version may be dry - add more glycerin.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 9

I replace 1/2 - 1 cup of the powdered sugar with dark cocoa. You might leave out another cup of ps until the fondant has had a chance to rest. If it is still sticky add more of the ps.

I always add the glycerine to my fondant. It helps with the texture and dryness.

grandmom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:57am
post #4 of 9

dsilvest, you said you replace some of the PS with cocoa. Do you also add the chips, or is the cocoa INSTEAD of the chips? I want to try this in the next few days.

Thanks.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:14am
post #5 of 9

I added the amount of glycerin required. The fondant wasn't sticky but wasn't hard at all. No problem applying it to cake either. It had the same consistency of the regular white fondant recipe. I also used the chocolate chips too. Next time, I'll probably add another tbs glycerin to make 4 instead of 3 total. I just was hoping someone had tried this as everything is so expensive to just try.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:17am
post #6 of 9

I used Rhonda's chocolate fondant recipe from the recipe section on the site and it worked like a charm and tasted great. No chocolate chips in that one -- just cocoa. But it handled really well.

dsilvest Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 9

I use just the cocoa.

When I tried the one with chocolate chips, it was too hard and cracked.

This is the recipe I use and it turns out great

16 oz bag marshmallows
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup shortening
1 tbsp glycerine
sometimes add 2 tbsp glucose or corn syup

Melt this in the microwave

Add flavouring

1/2 cup cocoa
6 1/2 - 7 cups powdered sugar

This is the recipe I use and it turns out great

grandmom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks, dsilvest! I'm trying it next week!

dsilvest Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 9

Grandmom

I have dark cocoa so I don't need as much for a rich brown colour. You can replace more of the ps with cocoa if you don't have the dark one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%